• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spirits in the Freezer

GregORear

I prefer my spirits to be really cold, so at home I keep them in the freezer. I hate it when I go to a bar and all the spirits are at room temperature, then the bartender puts some ice in a room temperature glass and fills it with water while he mixes my martini. Yuck!

(Then again, I AM in Raleigh, not known for its great cocktails. However, the bartender at the Siena Hotel in Chapel Hill made an excellent Vesper Lynd.)

Ideally, I'm wondering if you wouldn't want to have all your bottles in a freezer, spout down, so that you could remove exactly as much spirit as you wish. If you did that, perhaps you'd need to add chilled water for the dilution, as there would be no need for ice.

I'm just sayin', if you could invent the perfect arrangement, what would it look like?

The problem with keeping your spirits in the freezer is that a proper cocktail requires some dilution.  A Martini is not supposed to clock in at 45% alcohol.

so booze comprising of water and alcohol, and liqueurs with sugars, and citrus, etc... are all solutions. do you think there is any advantage to them being added to each other at room temp then chilled with ice.

adding citrus to frozen vodka may not integrate properly?

even when you dilute high proof alcohol out of the still, even after its rested a while, you can notice when drinking it that the water and alcohol are not integrated. things taste hotter than usual which disguising is often many people's objective when making a cocktail...

so when integrating all these solutions are there any advantages in the room temp mixed to order that is common practice?

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com