• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes Anna

forever_young_ca

I want to make Potatoes Anna for the family Christmas Eve dinner.

Two questions:

1) Can I make it ahead and reheat?

If I reheat, do I reheat stove top or in the oven?

2) If I want to add some cheese as a flavour booster - how much and what kind? I was thinking of a combination of Gruyere and Eden or Port Salut, but am open to suggestions.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I always think of Pommes Anna as nothing but potatoes sliced very thin in layers with butter slathered over every step of the way. The potatoes get partly crispy, which for me is the major thrill. Adding cheese would kill the crispy somewhat, no?

Sounds like you are going for a more classic gratin, which might include creme fraiche or milk or cream, onion, but always cheese--often gruyere. Look up some recipes for Pommes Dauphinoise and you might get some good ideas. And Dauphinoise is a yummy word!

Gruyere and just a little grated parm or aged pecorino is a nice combo; a combo of one that melts well and then a little of another that's more aged and punchy for flavor. There's a manchego with rosemary coating that might add great flavor, but I've never cooked with it.

I would try to assemble it ahead and bake it on site if possible or if you bake it aheat, reheat it in the oven.

I always think of Pommes Anna as nothing but potatoes sliced very thin in layers with butter slathered over every step of the way. The potatoes get partly crispy, which for me is the major thrill. Adding cheese would kill the crispy somewhat, no?

Sounds like you are going for a more classic gratin, which might include creme fraiche or milk or cream, onion, but always cheese--often gruyere. Look up some recipes for Pommes Dauphinoise and you might get some good ideas. And Dauphinoise is a yummy word!

Gruyere and just a little grated parm or aged pecorino is a nice combo; a combo of one that melts well and then a little of another that's more aged and punchy for flavor. There's a manchego with rosemary coating that might add great flavor, but I've never cooked with it.

I would try to assemble it ahead and bake it on site if possible or if you bake it aheat, reheat it in the oven.

I am trying to replicate a delicious dish that I had at a dinner last weekend. It was definately Potatoes Anna as it did not have the Dauphinoise creamy character. It was essentially thinly sliced potatoes that were stacked and cut into a square. In this case the cheese that was introduced was Epoisse and was only a flavour booster. There was not enough of it to become a "sauce". It was an absolutely subline dish. The top retained its crispy characteristics.

Since my original post I note that Julia Child has in "Mastering" a variation of Potatoes Anna with a cheese addition.

Life is short, eat dessert first