• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Vietnamese Restaurants

pfunk_49

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread, hoping others might have more suggestions.

I spent some time in Hanoi last year and adored the pho. Was craving some this weekend, so took a trip to Tank noodle. I left full but still craving. Any suggestions for place in Chicago for pho that's less about basil & bean sprouts and more about rich meaty goodness?

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

There are quite a few places on Argyle street. My fave is in the strip mall just south of Argyle. Flavorful broth, tender tendon, fatty brisket and al dente tripe. I think it's called "Le's Pho" (formerly "Pho Hoa").

http://tainammarket.com/otherStores.html

There are quite a few places on Argyle street. My fave is in the strip mall just south of Argyle. Flavorful broth, tender tendon, fatty brisket and al dente tripe. I think it's called "Le's Pho" (formerly "Pho Hoa").

http://tainammarket.com/otherStores.html

Le's is my favorite as well.

As an FYI, if you google the place it still comes up as "Pho Hoa." Ignore any of the internet reviews for Pho Hoa as the menu/ownership has changed entirely. Also, note that it is located in the shopping center - it is impossible to see from either Broadway or Argyle.

Personally, I think Tank (Pho Xe Tank) is pretty good, but I'd choose Le's over Tank if given the option. Pho 777 is passable, but it seems pointless to go here considering Tank is down the street and Le's is just around the corner.

Am I wrong or was Tank closed a few times for health violations? I seem to recall seeing it closed with yellow notices on the doors 2-3 times over the last 2-3 years. I've avoided it since then because of that. (But liked the pho prior).

Ian

Edited by ianeccleston (log)

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Does anyone know of a place in Chicago where you can get Bun Cha?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Am I wrong or was Tank closed a few times for health violations? I seem to recall seeing it closed with yellow notices on the doors 2-3 times over the last 2-3 years. I've avoided it since then because of that. (But liked the pho prior).

Ian

The city of Chicago's oh-so-helpful Health Inspection Report:

http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/healthinspection/inspectiondate.jsp?eid=1373022