• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chuleton del buey

ok, having just come back from a phenomenal food trip to bilbao/rioja, im totally hooked on the aged ox steaks.

is there anywhere in spain where its possible to buy this at retail? i tried a number of butchers in the area as i walked around, but i got nowhere. im sure my nonexistent spanish didnt help but it seemed that it wasnt possible to find any.

do the asadors do their own sourcing/aging? surely there is somewhere to buy retail. if anyone knows please let me know... im happy to do the pilgrimmage.

Recently, Gold Gourmet in Madrid has started to source some real oxen. They have been selling one for the past week and I believe another one it's coming or it's already there. They disappear fast from the counter, though. Amazing stuff.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Recently, Gold Gourmet in Madrid has started to source some real oxen. They have been selling one for the past week and I believe another one it's coming or it's already there. They disappear fast from the counter, though. Amazing stuff.

Thanks Pedro

I will keep a look out when next in madrid, indeed amazing stuff

Lately, they also have been sourcing meat from old cows --older than 10yrs old, usually older than 15yrs old-- aged over a month and a half. Different to oxen but by no means inferior.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

• 3 weeks later...