• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Paris near Place de Madeleine

ellenesk

Will be staying in the 2nd, near the Place de Madeline. Disappointed my last breakfast at La Duree(way too expensive, and service non existent).  What other good cafe's are nearby that have wonderful breakfast pastry/cafe/ ambiance?

Thanks

How about the Fauchon cafe? I've not eaten there but it's been well-reviewed and it opens at 9h00.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Angelina's is roughly 3 long blocks from the Madeline: 226, rue Rivoli.  Legendary and expensive hot chocolate (6.80€) and pastries (similar range). 

tel:01.42.60.82.00

Not much further is Le Pain Quotiden in the Marche St.Honore . However I would range further to the Kayser cafe on Bd. Malesherbes, Here are some Zagat comments

http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDet...?VID=8&R=102423

If you go to the food floor of Galeries Lafayette which is closer in, Kayser is there but also Dalloyau (which is top notch) and I believe there are counters at which you can eat.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to just follow up. Cafe Fauchon for breakfast was a disaster. The door was locked, we knocked, was told they were closed, even though it was 10:00 and they said they opened at 9:30. 1 poached egg, two cups of coffee, baguette, 45Euros. They spilled hot coffee over two of us, with barely an apology. No pain au chocolat. Just croissants, baguette, and minimal egg selections. 20 minutes to get breakfast. The room, however is really cute, but the experience a huge disappointment. When I asked the manager for a business card to send them the bill for cleaning my coat, they looked at me like I was insane. On an aside, dinner at La Rotonde in Montparnasse was really good.

Edited by ellenesk (log)

Wanted to just follow up.  Cafe Fauchon for breakfast was a disaster.  The door was locked, we knocked, was told they were closed, even though it was 10:00 and they said they opened at 9:30.  1 poached egg, two cups of coffee, baguette, 45Euros.  They spilled hot coffee over two of us, with barely an apology.  No pain au chocolat. Just croissants, baguette, and minimal egg selections.  20 minutes to get breakfast.  The room, however is really cute, but the experience a huge disappointment.  When I asked the manager for a business card to send them the bill for cleaning my coat, they looked at me like I was insane.  On an aside, dinner at La Rotonde in Montparnasse was really good.

Don't you enjoy looking around and finding a place that you may like?

After all that's what travel is all about.The adventure of discovery that you'll always remember.

They're not chic, not cool, not luxurious, not high on service; but the various Paul's scattered around the city offer a really nice breakfast at a very reasonable cost, whether continental or with eggs, etc.

http://www.paul.fr/uk/histoire.php

You're right.They are all over london and even in Miami.Its amazing .They have followed the american business model .

They're not chic, not cool, not luxurious, not high on service; but the various Paul's scattered around the city offer a really nice breakfast at a very reasonable cost, whether continental or with eggs, etc.

http://www.paul.fr/uk/histoire.php

You're right.They are all over london and even in Miami.Its amazing .They have followed the american business model .

While maintaining quality and price.

eGullet member #80.