• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find inexpensive miniature bottles?

GregORear

I'd like to find a good source for miniature (50 ml) liquor bottles. My local ABC doesn't have very many, and while there is a huge variety on eBay (where do they get them?), they seem to be twice as expensive as I can get locally (at least, for the ones I can get locally).

Specifically, I'm currently interested in sampling the different gins available.

Thanks.

I'd like to find a good source for miniature (50 ml) liquor bottles. My local ABC doesn't have very many, and while there is a huge variety on eBay (where do they get them?), they seem to be twice as expensive as I can get locally (at least, for the ones I can get locally).

Specifically, I'm currently interested in sampling the different gins available.

Thanks.

The Triangle's one of the tougher places to buy (unique, eclectic, worthwhile) spirits that I've encountered. Not only is NC a control state, but the closest bordering state (Va) is as well. If you haven't checked it already, the North Carolina ABC website's "Pricing Reports" page will become your friend. I also keep the VA ABC site bookmarked, though I've yet to make a liquor run there.

Of course, there's always online ordering; but naturally, that too is illegal in North Carolina. When purchasing from out of state, watch the speedometer, as statutes prohibit anyone (excepting distillery reps) from transporting in excess of 4 liters of spirits purchased outside NC.

Since the preceding shouldn't be an issue with mini's, the closest independent liquor store to the Triangle with a good selection is just south of Charlotte on US-521, though i haven't personally checked out their airplane selection. For the real exotic stuff, head up to DC.