• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measurement question

BeeZee

I need to make a large qty of Israeli couscous salad...is there any way to convert weight (oz) to dry measure (cups)? I saw a bulk bin at Whole Foods and tried to gauge if the scoop was equal to about a cup but really couldn't tell. I've been tempted to carry my own measuring cup in so I don't over-scoop out of the bulk bin as I usually do...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I need to make a large qty of Israeli couscous salad...is there any way to convert weight (oz) to dry measure (cups)? I saw a bulk bin at Whole Foods and tried to gauge if the scoop was equal to about a cup but really couldn't tell. I've been tempted to carry my own measuring cup in so I don't over-scoop out of the bulk bin as I usually do...

There is no single formula; it depends on what you're measuring.

I've bookmarked a few websites that have weight-to-volume conversions for a lot of common ingredients--they come in handy for guesstimates like this (although I've also taken a plastic measuring cup to the grocery store a time or two!)

Not All Pounds Are Created Equal

Converting Cups to Grams

US Cups to Weight by Ingredient

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

The most complete I've found is Gourmet Sleuth. According to them, regular dry couscous is 6.1 oz or 173 grams per cup, but they don't have a weight for Israeli couscous. Does it have another name?

I'd go with bringing my own measuring cup, but be very sure it's super clean and disinfected, and try to use it discreetly. Although the scoops at WF and other grocery stores are probably much dirtier than yours, they (and you) could get into trouble for using outside scoops.