• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's week in Paris

Roger le goéland

We'll be visiting Paris between the 29th of December and the 5th of January - where should we eat during that time? Are there many places still open?

We're looking for cheap, interesting stuff that we can't find in London rather than full-blown, Les Ambassadeurs/Arpege/Grand Vefour-style super-cuisine. Maybe 20 euros pp per meal max. Any cuisine from anywhere, from Lyon traditional fare to cool new things with sushi. And of course decent cocktail bars, but I'll be checking the martini thread for that.

However, we will aim to have one extremely good set lunch at one of the multi-stars. If you could only have one set lunch in Paris, and you had just under 2 weeks to book it, where would you go? Food is the only criteria. We're happy to be sardines for a night.

I've visited the other cheap good places thread and am checking the various restaurants but they don't often have a website, so any info would be much appreciated! (it will save me a few phones calls)

Thank you in advance.

R.

We'll be visiting Paris between the 29th of December and the 5th of January - where should we eat during that time? Are there many places still open?

We're looking for cheap, interesting stuff that we can't find in London rather than full-blown, Les Ambassadeurs/Arpege/Grand Vefour-style super-cuisine. Maybe 20 euros pp per meal max. Any cuisine from anywhere, from Lyon traditional fare to cool new things with sushi. And of course decent cocktail bars, but I'll be checking the martini thread for that.

However, we will aim to have one extremely good set lunch at one of the multi-stars. If you could only have one set lunch in Paris, and you had just under 2 weeks to book it, where would you go? Food is the only criteria. We're happy to be sardines for a night.

I've visited the other cheap good places thread and am checking the various restaurants but they don't often have a website, so any info would be much appreciated! (it will save me a few phones calls)

Thank you in advance.

R.

Roger I fear you budget will be limiting. We are heading over tomorrow so will report back on prices but I think at least €35 pp is a good target in the mid range. It is quite frightening given the €/£ exchange rate - it makes London seem like a bargain.

Check down a couple of topics and you'll find the results from my archival search of places open between Christmas and New Year's.

I'll be merging this into that one once the holiday has passed to keep all the information in one place.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Phil, even in a far-out sushi bar or noodles takeaway place?

John, thanks for the heads-up. For that pre-NYE period, it is very useful and I'll look into it for the 29th and the 30th.

However, I'll probably spend NYE and Day with my family, so would be most interested in the first week of the year - any existing threads on this?

I was going to recommend the 100 euro Guy Savoy lunch (a bargain IMO) - but the restaurant will be closed for the holidays while you're there. I think your best bet for less expensive lunches would be looking for "blackboard" lunch specials at bistros and the like in the neighborhoods where you'll be doing whatever else you plan to do. We had quite a good one at Le Zinc (within easy walking distance of the Louvre) for 19.95/pp. "Far out" isn't necessarily an answer. If you're spending 3 euros/pp on the metro to get to there and back - that is a nice chunk of your lunch budget.

BTW - if you do "take-out" - make sure you know where you're going to eat it. January isn't exactly a great month for a picnic in the park :smile: .

Be prepared for lots of price sticker shock (the dollar is about even with the euro over the last 52 weeks - but the pound is down 25% - so Paris will seem even more expensive to you than it does to us "yanks"). Robyn