• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morocco & the Middle East

Verjuice

Hi all,

The opportunity to do some regional travel has arisen and I'm left with a less than ideal amount of time with which to plan and research. Not that this will stop me!

I'll be on my own and these are parts of the Arab world I've not yet seen, but I do speak Arabic and I will have transportation. I've been perusing the boards for ideas but specific recommendations are VERY welcome and I don't mind traveling out of the way for good food. Here is my itinerary:

Morocco (10 days)

Casablanca -> Rabat -> Fes -> Marrakech

Jordan (6 days)

Amman -> Petra -> Jerash

Syria (5 days)

Damascus -> Aleppo -> Homs -> Palmyra -> Maaloula -> Apamea (with possible stops in

Krak des Chevaliers, Hamah, Lattakia, Mari, Ugarit, Ebla, Seydnaya, Shahba, St. Simeon... I have a couple days of flexibility here)

Ending me up in Lebanon, where I know my way around.

Thanks for any help! :smile:

How I envy you! Those are all countries on my list of places to visit--I love the Middle East!

I've only been to Morocco before, and was on a pauper's budget, but are you looking for any kind of food? Or specifically Moroccan? Rabat doesn't have much in terms of good Moroccan food (the only decent Moroccan food I had was in people's homes), and I certainly looked during the three months I spent there. There were some good cafes, though, if you're interested in those. . .

Thanks, Rona...

I am looking for anything and everything. If there are a couple of cafes you have in mind, great. I know the best Moroccan food is to be found in homes, but alas and alack, I don't know anyone so will have to make do with what I can find in restaurants.

eta: I hope Santa Fe is still on your list of places to visit :smile:

Edited by Verjuice (log)