• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Resolutions for 2009

I usually resolve not to make resolutions but I think there are some things to change.

I will eat more fish, fruit and vegetables and less junk food.

I will make more full meals for myself instead of a bowl of popcorn or a Subway sandwich.

I will find more good recipes for 30 minute main dishes that do not contain commercial products..

I will learn to not overextend myself while preparing meals.

I will teach all family members to stay out of the area between the island and the sink. That's my area!

Ooh, fun topic.

Mine are:

- Try all of the little French places opening in and around Queen Village

- Cook some recipes from the Viaggio di Vetri cookbook (my husband made the spinach gnocchi the other day and they were delicious)

- Eat more pho

- Get up to the Monday night BBQ buffet at Sweet Lucy's, and

- Take advantage of the low lobster prices more often (they were $4.99/lb at Hung Vuong, 11th & Washington, the other day)

Happy 2009!

PhillyBon

I will eat more vegetarian meals.

I will make at least three meals in my new dutch oven per week (okay, maybe one, but it's just begging for it).

I will find a way to get up at dawn on Thursdays to get to the farmer's market.

I will learn to make basic doughs perfectly.

I will teach the shoemaker next to me on the line not to burn garlic (former corporate Carrabba's my ass!).

I will read more books on classical cooking.

I will not work in a restaurant that seats more than 150 a turn (I want to spend quality time with my plates dammit!).

I will eat like nobody is watching. :unsure:

Just kidding.

I will eat roughly 80% local and seasonal food.

I will make my lunches in order to save money and my waistline.

I will find more food-friendly friends...especially those of the single-male persuasion. *sigh*

I will learn the basics by enrolling in an amateur cooking class.

I will teach my dog to cook me dinner. It's about time she started pulling her weight!

I will read the old recipes and home economic books I inherited from my grandmother.

• 9 years later...
On 12/22/2008 at 8:02 PM, Darienne said:

I will eat dark chocolate every day.

I will make bread. I've never made it from scratch.

I will find my Mother's recipe for Beaver Pudding somewhere on this earth.

I will learn how to make proper pastry.

I will teach my neighbour up the road how to work with chocolate although I really don't want to.

I will read Peter Greweling's excellent chocolate book every page out loud to my DH who loves to be read to.

I will grow my own ginger to candy

I will not well, I don't know what I will not do or be or think.

It's more than ten years later and yesterday I found my Mother's recipe for Beaver Pudding.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.