• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Traditional Apfelkuchen Recipe

Good evening,

One of my favorite cakes is the German Apfelkuchen. I have tried many formulas from the web, but none of them really worked. Does anyone here have a traditional apfelkuchen formula that they are willing to share?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 3 months later...
Good evening,

One of my favorite cakes is the German Apfelkuchen. I have tried many formulas from the web, but none of them really worked. Does anyone here have a traditional apfelkuchen formula that they are willing to share?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

What kind of apple kuchen are you looking for, as I have a recipe for Schwabischer apple kuchen, and here in germany there seems to be a lot of different apple kuchens.

• 1 month later...
Good evening,

Thanks for the help!

Dan

What kind of apple kuchen are you looking for, as I have a recipe for Schwabischer apple kuchen, and here in germany there seems to be a lot of different apple kuchens.

Thanks for responding. I almost gave up on this. The apple kuchens I have liked in the past had a dense crust and a custard like filling. But hey, I will take whatever recipes you have and try them all. I have a lot of neighbors, friends, and family that are more than happy to help me taste test a bit.

Thanks for your help!!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for responding. I almost gave up on this. The apple kuchens I have liked in the past had a dense crust and a custard like filling. But hey, I will take whatever recipes you have and try them all. I have a lot of neighbors, friends, and family that are more than happy to help me taste test a bit.

Thanks for your help!!

Dan

sounds like the "Rieser Bauerntorte", served in the region around the village Noerdlingen. It's an Applecake with a dense crust and the filling is apple puree. Sorry I've no reciepe but will be in Noerdlingen in about three weeks to get one. If this cake sounds familiar to that one you've had once, I'll post it then.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Thanks for your help!!

Dan

sounds like the "Rieser Bauerntorte", served in the region around the village Noerdlingen. It's an Applecake with a dense crust and the filling is apple puree. Sorry I've no reciepe but will be in Noerdlingen in about three weeks to get one. If this cake sounds familiar to that one you've had once, I'll post it then.

I greatly appreciate this and will gladly take the recipe. I will let you know how it turns out when I make it.

Thanks again!

Dan