• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Shopping Recommendations

BigDan

I searched around for a thread like this but I couldn't find anything. Sorry ahead of time if I missed it.

I need to shop for my parents for Christmas. They are hard to shop for because if they want something they just buy it so I have to come up with something they haven't thought of. I don't have a lot of time to do anything really artisanal (though I am doing a bottle of Limoncello using KatieLoeb's recipe), so I need some product idea or recommendations. They are retired and are on a big gourmet cooking kick so I figure this is about the ideal place to ask.

For my Mom I'm thinking some new cookbooks. She does not have too many cookbooks and usually favors clipped recipes she's accumulated through the years so I'm thinking some sort of higher end gourmet book like Keller that will help her come up with some new techniques and maybe help her find some new cooking techniques. The books she has now are pretty boring, she has a Barefoot Contessa, but beyond that just stuff like the big old plaid Better Homes and Garden. Anyone have any recommendations that they think of that may be appropriate?

My Dad is a bit different. He is starting to cook a lot more and branch out, but like a lot of dads he traditionally only takes care of grill duties. He is obsessive with his baby back ribs recipe and tries to constantly tweak it. Steaks and what not he usually does pretty straightforward on the grill with just some S&P. If anyone can think of any sort of awesome grilling references that would be on the right track. I know he is starting to become interested in making his own rubs and sauces. The other end of the spectrum with him is Wine and Cocktails. He is a big wine enthusiast and loves a good cocktail but mainly makes martinis and bourbon on the rocks. I don't think he is opposed to trying out some other good cocktails so a high end book for that may also work out.

I hope that can help get us started but any other ideas anyone has are more than welcome. For a final note, I live in Denver and have access to Sur La Table etc... so I can hopefully find whatever I need to.

Of the two (well, now 3, but I haven't seen the third yet) Keller cookbooks, I find Bouchon a little more approachable, for what it's worth--a little more down-to-earth, I think.

For a cookbook that's beautiful like the Keller books but maybe a little farther afield in terms of new techniques, I love "Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet" by the same publisher. Everything I've tried from it has worked very well--but the caveat is that unless you mom is someplace where she can get the Asian ingredients (I use H-Mart here in Denver), it could gather dust...

For grilling, I really like "Thrill of the Grill" (though I have no idea if it's still in print). I have both books by the authors and like them both--not your run-of-the-mill Weber stuff, but not out of reach for the general cook either.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

For your Mom, the Keller may be too much of a culture shock, as may "Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet" (which I borrowed from the library and admired as a coffee-table book, but that's about it). You stated that she had few cookbooks; maybe she just doesn't *like* cookbooks? :huh:

I (and my groaning bookshelves) should be so fortunate. :wink:

For something that could gently open her eyes and provide inspiration and knowledge, I'd suggest "The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show." Everything I've tried has been delightful; it was one of the rare borrowed-from-the-library books that I have HAD to buy this year.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna head on out and scout around and pick up some initial presents. Yesterday my Mom started talking about getting into Sous Vide so if anyone can recommend a nice starter cookbook for that (I hear Under Pressure is not very friendly on that front as far as recipes go) Apparently she's getting a lot more adventurous than I gave her credit for. Definitely gonna look at those other books though if I can find them, she does get more than one gift.

Edited by BigDan (log)

May I suggest a little jar of truffle salt?  It costs about $25 and will last for a very long time.  I bet they'd both like it.

That is a great idea! There are many manufacturers, and also white and black truffle varieties. Also, the truffle percentage seems to vary from 3 to 10% or so. Is there one brand that stands out and that you'd recommend? Thanks.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Since this thread is open, I'm searching for a gift that doesn't seem to exist.

It's the only thing a very close friend wants or needs.

Salad serving tongs. One piece, large and silver. She entertains constantly.

I've searched everywhere. She's mentioned that it's been years since she's seen them, and has searched everywhere.

She's not aware that for months I've also searched in vain.

Any ideas? New or even vintage, if it's in decent shape and purty. :rolleyes:

I'm so frustrated , I might even consider stainless. Or maybe not.

Salad serving tongs.  One piece, large and silver. She entertains constantly.

I've searched everywhere.  She's mentioned that it's been years since she's seen them, and has searched everywhere.

e-bay. search "salad tongs" silver, and check the "include title and description" box.