• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tongs

Chris Hennes

In my opinion, tongs are one of the most indispensable kitchen tools. I don't think it is possible to have too many sets, in too many lengths (well, as long as you have the storage space...). I was looking for a new set recently and it struck me how many options there are these days: I mean, I have your basic spring-loaded stainless steel tongs with the little locking tab in the handle, but a quick search on Amazon yields tongs with nylon heads, silicon heads, and different locking mechanisms. Do you have a tongs preference? What are the best ones out there?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I agree. You can never have too many. My wife disagrees.

They are a great multitasking tool.

Stainless steel spring loaded for me in several assorted sizes.

I do not have any silicon or plastic tongs. I just exercise caution when using them around nonstick pans.

I prefer the type with the sliding ring for locking. I always seem to destroy the sliding lock.

I shudder when I see someone grilling and poking the meat with a fork.

I'm with you on this too. I have two Oxo locking tongs but with no nylon/silicon tips. Other than for use with non-stick pans, I don't see the point in those. I like the one's that have the lock at the end as I can lock/unlock with one hand.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I have 3-4 pairs of tongs hanging from the potrack over the stove at any given time. Because we do use non-stick pans regularly we have a mix of tips aqvailable. Even if I didn't have non-stick I'd probably still have one pair of silicone tipped tongs for handling things like hot ramequins or delicate foods...

Two things most important to me in a tong are how wide they open, and the closure system, I hate the slide down ring, I'm often grabbing tongs in a hurry & the ring always slows me down in getting them into action... Opening width isn't a big deal most of the time, but when you want to pick up a roast, it really matters...

I also want them to have a reasonable way for me to attach a ring or something so they can hang from the potrack!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I agree 100%. You cannot have too many good tongs. Cooking on the grill or for the sizzle platters I like to use in the oven for many things, tongs are perfect. They must be tough enough to not twist under a heavy load though. I recently bought some heavy stainless ones at a great price which are quite sturdy. They are spring loaded, but have a gravity pin that locks them closed unless the open end is pointed down. I find that annoying. The type with an outside clip that slides up to unlock is my favorite. The clip is held up and out of the way by your hand when in use or is slid down to lock for storage or a trip through the dishwasher. Used in conjunction with a good supply of clean towels, good tongs are a must!

HC

I'm with you on this too.  I have two Oxo locking tongs but with no nylon/silicon tips.  Other than for use with non-stick pans, I don't see the point in those.  I like the one's that have the lock at the end as I can lock/unlock with one hand.

I second OXO tongs. The locking mechanism is really easy to open on the fly, and it won't lock itself on you when you're not looking.

Tongs, tongs, tongs, tongs, tongs. I'm lost without them. I use them to pull sheet pans out of screaming hot ovens. I use them to open beer bottles. And for everything else. They're just about the first thing that goes into my knife roll if I'm going to cook at someone else's house. Hardly anyone I know has real tongs in the kitchen. I wonder how they don't starve.

The only ones I like are all stainless, with the scalloped edges. Which describes about a hundred different brands. Right now I have a few different tongs in a few different sizes, each made by someone else. Each has features I like and features I dislike.

If some tongs come along that are all good and no bad, I'll buy stock in the company. And open a beer.

Notes from the underbelly

I use tongs by AMCO with silicon ends and a cool locking ring at the rear that you pull out to lock and push in to unlock. These are the best I have found and can't think how they could be better.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I'm with you on this too.  I have two Oxo locking tongs but with no nylon/silicon tips.  Other than for use with non-stick pans, I don't see the point in those.

Copper pots lined with tin alloy!

More easily gouged with a steel edge than non-stick, in my experience.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I agree 100%. You cannot have too many good tongs. Cooking on the grill or for the sizzle platters I like to use in the oven for many things, tongs are perfect. They must be tough enough to not twist under a heavy load though. I recently bought some heavy stainless ones at a great price which are quite sturdy. They are spring loaded, but have a gravity pin that locks them closed unless the open end is pointed down. I find that annoying. The type with an outside clip that slides up to unlock is my favorite. The clip is held up and out of the way by your hand when in use or is slid down to lock for storage or a trip through the dishwasher. Used in conjunction with a good supply of clean towels, good tongs are a must!

HC

Oh...but those gravity tongs are my fav's..they walk out of here, and never return.

I love them and have spent a fortune replacing them. Everytime someone is 'helping' they have to know how they work (of course) and then they're like some conductor on the grill. I really like those things, they only get annoying to me when they have to go into the dishwasher...but then, I really want them open anyway to clean. jmho.

I personally prefer the cheap single piece tongs. I don't like things that are built using more pieces than necessary. If done properly, there are no needs for a spring mechanism which can fail but more importantly tend to be less stable when lifting heavy objects.

Edited by Magictofu (log)

I like these Zyliss tongs, mostly because they're really easy to lock and unlock -- you just slide the button on the side of them. Although the tips are silicone coated, they're pretty sturdy because they're reinforced with metal.

I personally prefer the cheap single piece tongs. I don't like things that are built using more pieces than necessary. If done properly, there are no needs for a spring mechanism which can fail but more importantly tend to be less stable when lifting heavy objects.

I have yet to find a single-piece tong that opened wide enough for my tastes: do you have a recommendation? I am a little nervous about some of the fancier recommendations because I am not the world's most careful cook, and am pretty hard on my tongs. I'd be concerned about breaking the ones with little plastic bits, etc.

My current main set of tongs is the kind where the locking mechanism is gravity-engaged, which is great once you get used to it, but every once in a while it screws you. I've also had these jam up over time. I'm intrigued by the other possibilities. What gets used in a restaurant kitchen? Do they lock closed at all? What mechanism?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I agree that the worst locking mechanism is the sliding ring.  My favorite tongs have no lock at all.  Next to knives, tongs are the most important tool in the shed.

My fave also has no lock...I broke it. Tongs are great, lock was crap.

I like the kind that you just tap lightly on the counter to open in a hurry -- I like them to lock because they hang off the side of my utensil crock (actually an old silver loving cup) and they keep a lower profile if they lock. A locking ring would be a PIA. I have two pairs of regular-length tongs - one with silicone tips and one plain stainless. I also have a really long (like two-foot) pair that I use all the time to grab stuff my husband keeps putting on the upper shelves (cuz I'm too lazy to drag out the step-stool). Couldn't do without any of them. :wub:

I have yet to find a single-piece tong that opened wide enough for my tastes: do you have a recommendation? I am a little nervous about some of the fancier recommendations because I am not the world's most careful cook, and am pretty hard on my tongs. I'd be concerned about breaking the ones with little plastic bits, etc.

My current main set of tongs is the kind where the locking mechanism is gravity-engaged, which is great once you get used to it, but every once in a while it screws you. I've also had these jam up over time. I'm intrigued by the other possibilities. What gets used in a restaurant kitchen? Do they lock closed at all? What mechanism?

I can't find an example online but you should find them in any restaurant supply store for next to nothing. I actually got mine for 25c at a garage sale and they are now replacing more expensive tongs in my kitchen.

I like the kind that you just tap lightly on the counter to open in a hurry -- I like them to lock because they hang off the side of my utensil crock (actually an old silver loving cup) and they keep a lower profile if they lock.  A locking ring would be a PIA.  I have two pairs of regular-length tongs - one with silicone tips and one plain stainless.  I also have a really long (like two-foot) pair that I use all the time to grab stuff my husband keeps putting on the upper shelves (cuz I'm too lazy to drag out the step-stool).  Couldn't do without any of them.  :wub:

The Edlunds I described have the good type of lock that you just tap to release. I have tongs without locks and use the big pink rubber band to hold them together but it's a pain. The Edlunds you just whip them out, give a quick tap on your side and your are ready to go. Bad locks are bad locks. Good ones are worth it.

I took a quick look at the tong pile.

Includes:

-Amco 12" tongs, with the spring loop for a lock. These are the most nicely made, and have the easiest to use lock. Downside is that they don't open very wide when unlocked. For anything big I need to grab one of the others.

-Mystery brand, 12" tongs, with the magic gravity activated lock. These open up wonderfully wide, but the locking mechanism drives me nuts. Quality is ok, but spring isn't stainless and will eventually rust away.

-Mystery brand, 16" tongs, with the sliding metal loop. Open as wide as you'd ever need. Locking mechanism is annoying, but I like it a bit better than the fancy automatic one. Spring is also prone to rust. These long ones are perfect for reaching into a blazing oven, working over a grill, or over a pan that's spitting hot grease.

Next up: tongs that have the pull-out tab for a locking mechanism. Anyone like these?

Notes from the underbelly

MattJohnson Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

I just skip locking mechanisms all together. Just use one of those fat rubber bands that hold broccoli together to store them. I usually purchase tongs from the restaurant supply store.

And I thought I was the only one to use those wide rubber bands on tongs! :laugh:

I prefer the one piece tongs with no lock and no spring load.  I wish I knew where I could buy another.  Every one I look on the Internet seems to be spring-loaded and/or with a locking mechanism.

Any suggestions?

Restaurant supply store or garage sales.