• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Places to eat Christmas Eve/Day in Rome

scase805

I moved to Sicily with my girlfriend in September. Since we are not going to be able to make it back to the States for the holidays, we decided to take a cheap flight up to Rome for four days, arriving on Christmas Eve. I haven't been to Rome before, so I'm not sure what will be open and what won't on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - does anyone more familiar with the city have any suggestions on what to do, and also more importantly, where you would suggest we eat? Thanks in advance for your help!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

I moved to Sicily with my girlfriend in September. Since we are not going to be able to make it back to the States for the holidays, we decided to take a cheap flight up to Rome for four days, arriving on Christmas Eve. I haven't been to Rome before, so I'm not sure what will be open and what won't on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - does anyone more familiar with the city have any suggestions on what to do, and also more importantly, where you would suggest we eat? Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been looking into that myself, since we're more or less orphaned this year, but the few I've called are all closed on the 24th and 25th. However, the hotel restaurants are open, and some of these are very good. I also got an email press release yesterday about a new multifunction place called Convoglia, near stazione Termini, www.convoglia.it. The proper restaurant isn't open yet but they have a Christmas brunch and I forget what else. There are also web sites that list a few places that are open; two that I know of are diningcity.com/rome and ristorantidiroma.it.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com