• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern New Year's Menu

Tela T

I have my SIL and her family coming to visit for the holidays from Northern California - and I'd like to cook a traditional Southern new year's meal. We're doing a goose for Christmas to satisfy my husband - but me, being southern, I've got to show my roots.... Does anyone have good recipes for hoppin' john - or a reference - or suggestions? I'm thinking that definitely greens (collards), black-eye peas, ham, and maybe the hoppin' john - otherwise - brunswick stew (that I'd love to see recipes for that -- or again references as my Southern cookbook library is pretty good), biscuits and pecan pie for dessert... It would also be interesting to see what y'all are cooking too - the pea post is great....!

Thanks!

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

• 5 weeks later...
I have my SIL and her family coming to visit for the holidays from Northern California - and I'd like to cook a traditional Southern new year's meal.  We're doing a goose for Christmas to satisfy my husband - but me, being southern, I've got to show my roots....  Does anyone have good recipes for hoppin' john - or a reference - or suggestions?  I'm thinking that definitely greens (collards), black-eye peas, ham, and maybe the hoppin' john - otherwise - brunswick stew (that I'd love to see recipes for that -- or again references as my Southern cookbook library is pretty good), biscuits and pecan pie for dessert...  It would also be interesting to see what y'all are cooking too - the pea post is great....!

Thanks!

Tela - I'm so sorry that I didn't notice your post earlier!! I love the idea of hosting a nice relaxing NY day meal. I hope yours went great and that you have a happy and healthy 2009! For the future, I don't have a recipe for hoppin' john, but I have a great one for brunswick stew, though it's more a set of directions than an actual recipe :wink: . It's one of our favorites. My new years day dinner is here.

I have a niece named Tela - is that your real name or just your eG moniker? Her's is pronounced more like 'tee-la'.

Happy New Year!

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Fuss about her receipt for "hoppin' john" and she said, "You add enough black eyed peas, ham, stock & rice until it looks right and then enough salt, pepper, & hot sauce until it tastes right". That, btw, is a direct quote.

Sorry to chime in so late w/ what little assistance I offer and I hope your NYD menu was a success.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.