• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb vs. beef steak

dividend

Last night I took a package of steaks out of the freezer to defrost for dinner tonight. When I looked at them in the fridge this morning, I discovered that they were lamb steaks instead of the beef strip steaks I had intended.

My plan for dinner had been to cook the steaks using the hot cast iron skillet --> hot oven approach, to serve with potato gratin. I don't cook lamb that much. Can I cook these lamb steaks in a similar way? If not, how should I cook them? I don't have a ton of time, so marinades and such are out.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

You're screwed!

Just kidding. :biggrin: In my house we have lamb steaks almost as much as beef, usually in the form of loin, rib or shoulder chops. I think they'd be awesome the way you describe. The most significant difference I can think of is doneness -- good beef is delightful at the blue/rare stage whereas lamb, not so much. Medium rare to medium for lamb is ideal IMO.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

What kind of cut is the lamb?  If they are loin chops  they can be cooked quickly in a hot cast iron pan.  If they are shoulder chops they should be braised which of course takes longer..

I have found that even shoulder chops do very well when treated like a good steak. In the summer we grill them and they are amazingly good. I have access only to supermarket lamb so this is not related to high quality/organic lamb. I know it defies logic. :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog