• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Princeton Study on Sugar Addiction

K8memphis

I was off sugar for two years with no cheating, and the hard part is really only about two weeks, but it is pretty rough in those weeks. I didn't have much fruit either, and only with protein at the same time so it didn't make me crash. No starches or breads either.

But I'm back on sugar now, even though I don't like it very much and it doesn't like me at all. Takes a lot of willpower to get off in the first place.

Terrasanct--slippery slope huh. Maybe if it were illegal it would be easier to avoid. I was off it continuously for over a year and various spurts.

I do use agave in my coffee (with a Splenda but :rolleyes: ) agave does not spike your blood chemistry.

It takes a ton of will power to get off it in the first place and way more than the average bear has in the long term huh.

Alright, I think this is all very simple.  Everything comes down to lifestyle.  If you develop a lifestyle that limits your carbohydrate intake than everthing will return back to normal, even the chemical exchange in your brain.

Simple to say anyway huh.

To those arguing about fat, that is a difficult subject in itself.  I read a nutrition book some years ago (forgot the title) where the author proclaimed people having an addiction to fat rather than an addiction to sugar.  Her reasoning was that people are far more likely to select doughnuts, pies, pastries, chocolate, etc instead of a lollipop, popsicle, gummie bears, etc. 

So carbs are a better vehicle for sugar than a popsicle stick. We're still talking sugar. Didja know that there's a hormone secreted in the stomach that tells us when we are hungry. After we eat carbs that hormone makes us think we were hungrier than we were before we ate the carbs.

Dude, I'm not into gummy bears but I am (used to be) into candy, bagfuls of candy candy candy.

Sugar is an unnecessary attraction, the sooner we realize it the better.  But that doesn't mean when you go out to eat you have to refuse DESSERT!  Put down the doughnut so you can eat my chocolate mousse!

thank you.

:laugh:

What do you mean by carbs being a better vehicle for sugar that a popsicle stick?

Also, maybe the reason the hormone is being secreted is because it's not looking for calories, its looking for all of those wonderful things you get from whole foods. The stomach has a lot of neurons that we know little about.

Besides, if we are talking about an addiction then the hormones for hunger should be irrelevant. If they were relevant, we could just figure out how or what to eat that stops our longing to eliminate the hunger. If sugar is truly an addiction, their must be some kind of neurological compulsion to continue eating it, even if your not hungry which I think a lot of people do. There may be many times people keep eating, even when they are not hungry just because they need the endorphin rush granted by sugar.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

What do you mean by carbs being a better vehicle for sugar that a popsicle stick?

I think cookies, cake and pastry are a more powerful vehicles of sugar. Just in the easier storage factor and transportability. I think more of us eat more other sweets with flour rather than frozen ones on a stick. That's all.

Also, maybe the reason the hormone is being secreted is because it's not looking for calories, its looking for all of those wonderful things you get from whole foods.  The stomach has a lot of neurons that we know little about.

Besides, if we are talking about an addiction then the hormones for hunger should be irrelevant.  If they were relevant, we could just figure out how or what to eat that stops our longing to eliminate the hunger.  If sugar is truly an addiction, their must be some kind of neurological compulsion to continue eating it, even if your not hungry which I think a lot of people do.  There may be many times people keep eating, even when they are not hungry just because they need the endorphin rush granted by sugar.

Yes, exactly, I wasn't very clear--that is just an aside--but an important one also in the weight loss/maintenance--go for better health, better control of health, by manipulating your food type nugget of information.

It's important in this discussion because it demonstrates control or lack of control. When we snack on carbs, we feel satisfied. Then shortly thereafter we feel more hungry than previous to eating the carbs because carbs begat carbs. I don't know exactly where this fits into the addiction study. Just a related story.

I had found a study and here's the link in egullet. The original study and link disappeared.

And just for the record, the gist of this thread is not God's absolute 100%, peer stamp approved glistening truth to bring about world peace and cure hunger. It's just about a study or two or three, discussing the pulls and pangs and difficulties of eating to help you be more healthy.

So we would be the peers reviewing/discussing this information amongst ourselves. Yes

what I do for a living and how I try to live my life are fairly close .I encourage my patients to live with moderation ..and I try very hard to do that myself....I know I have some kind of chemical addiction to sugar ..and it really sucks! because it could be the cause of a mutitude of health problems if I let myself go and just ate like I wanted to ....I am not a diabetic ..my thyroid is fine ..healthy as can be ...

my only disability (and for me it is one :sad: ) is being addicted to sugar...

my being becomes taken over by a physical and emotional demon .I have a love/hate relationship ..just like some folks do with booze ..I am with sugar ..and I am sure I am not alone out there (HELLO???)

when I eat a piece of cheese I can eat a piece of cheese ..taste it ..appreciate the flavor and enjoy it fully

understand the food I am eating ..put it down and reflect

can not do that with sugar! I go into another world of tasting when I am eating sweets ..sure I appreciate them ..en mass!!!!

I have crazy behavior with sugar!

it is not good for any one to over eat anything so I try to find a mid ground in life ...sometimes it works ok ..sometimes not

if someone can fix this fine ..but once in a while I want the demon!!! bad!!!!!!

it is always validating to find out people of higher degree ..can prove what you already know!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I honestly think a lot of us are in denial. I think a lot of us know very well too. It's hard to say it though. Especially when it's not readily, clearly illicit in some way.

There's an entire thread Steve started about needed a sugar fix and what do we go for when we're jonesing. Not trying to out anybody.

:raz:

This thread inspired me to test myself a bit. I don't eat many sweets but I must say I need at least one thing sweet everyday almost, even if its in small quantity. Unfortunately as we discussed, once you start eating carbohydrates it is extremely difficult to quit.

I have actually had this problem with salt when I was in my later teens. I remember being on a grill line and sprinkling salt straight on to my tongue. The second it touched my tongue my brain became relieved like a person taking a sip of water after crossing the desert. The strange thing is I use to do it dozens of time a night. At the the time I didn't understand it but now I do looking back on it I was working in a very hot kitchen sweating tremendously and drink literally gallons of water. One night I counted, I drank 4.5 gallons in a 9 hour shift, thats intense. At the time I thought it was an addiction and so even when things cooled off towards winter time, I developed the strange habit of eating salt still. Once I started to lose my taste I made myself forget about it.

The experiment I have done over the last week was I tried playing computer games again. I haven't played a video game in at least two years and not habitually in probably six, but I wanted to see if I still craved my sweet if I spent all of my spare time consumed in a game. Usually I read, cook or watch a movie and all of them seem to promote a need to have sugar on my tongue. I did my experiment this week and one day spent a solid 6 ours in one game, my mind was so consumed with what I was doing I completely forgot about 'cookies'. That just showed me that if my mind is consumed with something I love and something that is driving all of my short term predictions, I have no concern about eating. Obviously sitting in front of the computer in virtual reality is not the solution but it obviously exemplifies a possible solution. Whatever we do to fill the sugar void needs to consume our thoughts. Not such a bad idea I think. Any kind of club, activity or organization that allows you to use up all of your brain power can help. I don't think just trying not to think about it will work, because the more you try not to the more you will.

As for the nutrition, I also noticed years ago that it is practically impossible to put down a bag of potato chips. I have since been baking my potatos (as well as sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables) and noticed that I can't eat more than 10 or 12 at a time. My mind shuts off desire to eat after about twelve. The first one or two taste great, but by the time I have had maybe eight I cant stand them anymore.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

This thread inspired me to test myself a bit.  I don't eat many sweets but I must say I need at least one thing sweet everyday almost, even if its in small quantity.  Unfortunately as we discussed, once you start eating carbohydrates it is extremely difficult to quit.

As for the nutrition, I also noticed years ago that it is practically impossible to put down a bag of potato chips.  I have since been baking my potatos (as well as sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables) and noticed that I can't eat more than 10 or 12 at a time.  My mind shuts off desire to eat after about twelve.  The first one or two taste great, but by the time I have had maybe eight I cant stand them anymore.

I'm really glad you tried this. Too cool.

The words, "can't stand chips" has never spilled from my lips.

The mind over matter thing is a great tool but it only lasts so long especially as evidenced by our own colleagues here on egullet and in this thread. Those who are not in denial. I mean it is the only solution I know of and it falls woefully short of my expectations. I did it for year. Plus other times.

Plus people 'encourage' you.

'Hey it's my birthday, have some cake.'

'I'm a junkie, I'm sorry. I'm a recovering addict. Sure, just a little piece.'

But like we know, little pieces lead to a little more plus...

I know that saltines are said to turn to sugar right away inside us like fruit juices do. I don't know if chips do but I wouldn't be surprised. Often I'm wanting the salt to balance out the sweet.

I mean the safe alternative of a celery stalk filled with some Laughing Cow French Onion Cheese spread and a few pecans sprinkled on top is no match for that last piece of apple pie burning a hole my brain that my husband is trying to hang onto for his dessert tonight. Me, having had mine for breakfast.

Edited by K8memphis (log)