• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening

Shira

Before the holidays, I thought it would be worthwhile to get my knife professionally sharpened. The only place I know of is near Alesia, which is absolutely the wrong side of town. Any recommendations for the Right Bank? Maybe one of the kitchenware stores--A Simon, Bovida, etc.

Thanks,

Shira

http://www.lespetitpois.blogspot.com

Shira

Paris

lespetitpois.blogspot.com

When I first moved here 7 years ago, if I am remembering correctly, I can remember someone coming around to my neighborhood and ringing a bell or something in the street and my French teacher told us it was someone coming around to sharpen knives. I don't remember ever seeing it again though. I am crazy, or did this exist? I think the kitchen supply stores are definitely a good place to look. If you have a restaurant that you go to often close by, you could ask them what they do. I am sure they have a service.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

When I first moved here 7 years ago,  if I am remembering correctly, I can remember someone coming around to my neighborhood and ringing a bell or something in the street and my French teacher told us it was someone coming around to sharpen knives. I don't remember ever seeing it again though.  I am crazy, or did this exist?  I think the kitchen supply stores are definitely a good place to look.  If you have a restaurant that you go to often close by, you could ask them what they do.  I am sure they have a service.

Think it did exist & still does in some towns. We occasionally see a knife sharpener turn up at the local markets.

Shira, if I were you I might just go into a kitchen supply store and buy an inexpensive sharpener. You should be able to find one for less than 10 Euro's.

The more expensive part is that you need to buy a good steel (either old fashioned or a new style with diamond dust) to keep your knives sharp. Use it frequently.

When I first moved here 7 years ago,  if I am remembering correctly, I can remember someone coming around to my neighborhood and ringing a bell or something in the street and my French teacher told us it was someone coming around to sharpen knives. I don't remember ever seeing it again though.  I am crazy, or did this exist?  I think the kitchen supply stores are definitely a good place to look.  If you have a restaurant that you go to often close by, you could ask them what they do.  I am sure they have a service.

Incredible; I was going to tell about the guy who comes by every so often to sharpen knives; you're not crazy at all. The problem is that I cannot figure out his schedule.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks all for the responses. I do actually own a good sharpener, but after lots of years of use, I feel like it could use a bit of professional edge. I'll see what the kitchenwares stores do and report back (unless I run into a vagabond knife sharpener somewhere between the 11th and the 1st).

Shira

Shira

Paris

Incredible; I was going to tell about the guy who comes by every so often to sharpen knives; you're not crazy at all. The problem is that I cannot figure out his schedule.

Actually, I live not far from Place Charles Bernard in the 18th district, I vaguely remembered seeing the guy once or twice in the market doing it... and some years ago. Me too, I'm interested to know when he is passing by...

Edited by naf (log)

Actually, I live not far from Place Charles Bernard in the 18th district, I vaguely remembered seeing the guy once or twice in the market doing it... and some years ago. Me too, I'm interested to know when he is passing by...

That's where I see him, on the Rue du Poteau walking to the Pl Ch Bernard.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to belatedly report that I took my knife to A. Simon on rue Montmarte, where I paid about 3 euros for sharpenening. They did an excellent job.

Shira

Paris