• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail-order food gifts

Verjuice

I order gifts of food by mail every now and then, but because they're often priced higher than anything I would order for myself, I usually lack firsthand experience have to go on faith in others who assure the product will be good.

I've ordered cakes raved about in The Rosengarten Report (like rum cake from Sweet Art by Lucia and a key lime pie from I can't remember where), various things from Dean and Deluca, chocolates from Garrison Confections, Valerie Confections and La Maison du Chocolat, H & H bagels, peaches from Frog Hollow Farms and live lobsters from Maine. If I'm going to spend good money on a food gift I don't want to get some generic basket of mixed nuts and calibrated fruit; I want to get something special I know the person will like.

That said, this method of gift-giving can get exhausting. I don't have any standby products I've ordered more than once or twice, reasonably priced and available year-round. And now because money is tighter, I'm balking at shipping prices; $30 for 2 day shipping on a $24 box of chocolates? No way.

I'm looking for suggestions on superb (extra points for unusual and regional) mail-order products, preferably from small independent companies and ideally under $60, domestic shipping included. From smoked fish to fruit vinegar to caramel; it's all good. What are your particular favorites?

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Every Christmas we order kringles -- a circular danish type sweet -- from O&H Bakery in Racine, WI. I'm not from there, nor is my husband, but they were recommended to us by a friend about 10 years ago and we've been ordering them ever since.

A kringle is about $14, but with shipping it's worth ordering at least 2 (the shipping is what it is -- might as well get more kringle.)

I can personally vouch for the almond, cherry, cherry/cheese, cheese, and pecan varieties, but I'm betting that they all are good. And they freeze well too!

Washington State University (where I went to college) has a dairy and creamery that makes several very good cheeses. Its signature (and best) is called Cougar Gold. It's reasonably priced and while not terribly exotic, it is a good local product.

WSU cheese

Washington State University (where I went to college) has a dairy and creamery that makes several very good cheeses. Its signature (and best) is called Cougar Gold. It's reasonably priced and while not terribly exotic, it is a good local product.

WSU cheese

I'll second the Cougar Gold recommendation--and I didn't go to school there! It's great stuff, and it travels well (they pack it in a tin).

Another Washington product to consider is smoked salmon. Portlock's is good, and they have the whole gift packaging and shipping thing down.

A recent discussion on another food board reminded me that we take our fresh local hazelnuts for granted up here in the upper-left corner--they seem to be exotic and almost unknown in other parts of the US. I sent some to a friend in Virginia a few years ago and she loved them--she made a hazelnut torte for her inlaws and knocked their socks off. If your friends bake, they might appreciate them, too. Oregon grows a big percentage of the US hazelnut crop, but I've been buying them from Holmquist Farms in Washington. They also sell them roasted and salted, and chocolate-covered, and they have some other hazelnut products as well.

And since I'm on a Washington theme...can't forget Aplets and Cotlets!

MaryMc

Seattle, WA