• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secret Indulgences Lost and Kept

Lore

I love creamy /salty/crunchy and fiddle about with salsas, guacamole,creme fraiche, yogurt, crudites, home-cooked tortilla slices, tartines, bruschetta et al.

But there's nothing like opening that bag of onion soup mix, stirring it into a tub of sour cream, ripping open a bag of Wavy Lays and having my way with California Dip, eaten standing up, straight from container. With a big glass of decent white wine.

Amen.

Yup! I love wavy chips! It's hard to find the truly wavy ones - they've almost all gone over to ridges! Can I bring my fritos to the CA dip party - I like to switch off between the potato and the corn! :laugh:

I support you on the Fritos, but have to add that the dip needs to sit an hour or two to get it all together. Think "Anticipaaaation".

...but have to add that the dip needs to sit an hour or two to get it all together. Think "Anticipaaaation".

Oh TOTALLY. Or even overnight if you can stand it.

But only the potato chips, please.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I'm not someone to cast away something I like just because I think someone would laugh at me for still liking it.

Although I do enjoy things like a nice crusty french bread, brie cheese and pears to snack on, there's still a time and a place for a bag of Cheetos and a Coke.

Cheryl

As of late, I've developed a jones for Tater Tots.

Ooooohhhhh! Tater Tots! They weren't something we ever bought in my family (or very rarely), but I did love them when I was young. And I must admit, I still do. Whenever I'm at a breakfast buffet, and there are tater tots, I always have some (though I still never buy them myself). Sprinkled with salt and dabbed with a bit of ketchup, they're perfect!

As of late, I've developed a jones for Tater Tots.

Ooooohhhhh! Tater Tots! They weren't something we ever bought in my family (or very rarely), but I did love them when I was young. And I must admit, I still do. Whenever I'm at a breakfast buffet, and there are tater tots, I always have some (though I still never buy them myself). Sprinkled with salt and dabbed with a bit of ketchup, they're perfect!

As a manufactured food they're not so bad though. Potatoes, oil and salt. They are an excellent PMS remedy with mayonnaise.

As a manufactured food they're not so bad though. Potatoes, oil and salt. They are an excellent PMS remedy with mayonnaise.

Mayo! Awww crap! Now I might actually have to go out and buy some tater tots! Tater tots with mayo...why didn't I ever think of that? I'm out of mayo, too, though, so I'll have to pick up some of that, too.

Mayo! Awww crap! Now I might actually have to go out and buy some tater tots! Tater tots with mayo...why didn't I ever think of that? I'm out of mayo, too, though, so I'll have to pick up some of that, too.

Sorry! If it makes you feel any better, I think I'll have to buy some too. The mayo I have - Thomy is my favourite brand. :laugh:

But every couple of years or so I HAVE to have kraft macaroni and cheese w/ spam mixed in. I don't know why, my mother use to make it when I was young so maybe that is it. I know it is nasty, but man when I gotta have it, I gotta have it.

Sometimes, when I'm not feeling well, the only thing I want is Kraft day-glo macaroni and cheese, followed by strawberry jello. No other flavors -- only the strawberry is acceptable.

Lost? Probably the most notable thing is any sort of frozen entree. I used to buy things like frozen pot pies (Swanson's, then "upgraded" to Marie Callendars), frozen Stouferr's Lasagna, frozen pizza, some types of frozen dinners (back to Marie Callendar's). I used to buy and eat that stuff fairly regularly. I haven't had any in my freezer in some time. Some things not totally "lost", but that I don't keep as much of? Soda. I used to always have Coca- Cola or Dr. Pepper or Root Beer or something like that on hand in the fridge, plus usually some back up supply in the laundry room. I but it FAR less frequently than I used to. FAR less. I don't buy brownie mixes, pancake mixes, pudding mixes, etc. either.

Kept? I still buy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daz when it's on sale. ( I don't have an ice cream maker in the kitchen). I still like tortilla chips. I buy them a lot. "Snack" type foods are probably where I have kept the most.

There are other things I could put on both lists. I'm not a total snob, though. I'll still happily buy a package of Oreos if the mood strikes (they are great for making a chocolate cookie crumb pie crust) or a bag of Lays potato chips to go with my made from a packed Hidden Valley Ranch dip.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Lost- pink Hostess Sno-Balls. An unbelievably sweet, pink chemical confection reserved for deranged fairy princesses.

Kept- Sno-Cones. Any flavor, any season and any kind of ice texture.

I love them unconditionally.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks