• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need feedback on proposed menu

hazardnc

We are planning a very impromptu holiday party in hopes of bringing some cheer in this gloomy time. We have come up with an easy menu, but I would love some feedback. Here's what I have so far:

Homemade biscuits with country ham spread

Homemade smoked turkey with rolls and condiments

Crudites with pimiento cheese

Cheddar olives

Spicy candied pecans

Gingerbread cake with lemon curd and whipped cream

Brownies (maybe?) or maybe that incredibly sweet Krispy Kreme bread pudding

Comments? Anyone have a favorite ham spread recipe out there? I have seen versions with butter and bourbon and others with mayo and mustard.

I would add some grated onion to the pimento cheese and omit the pickles as well.

Is there a particular reason for the ham spread? I would just slice the ham thinly and let folks make their own sandwiches with the biscuits - mayo and mustard required.

If you're set on the ham spread, grind it in the food processor, add mayo, sweet pickle relish, finely chopped onion and a squirt of mustard. stir well. It should be pretty smooth.

Stop Family Violence

Of course, your first post got me to thinking to - and I need help on the following:

I have my SIL and her family coming to visit for the holidays from Northern California - and I'd like to cook a traditional Southern new year's meal. We're doing a goose for Christmas to satisfy my husband - but me, being southern, I've got to show my roots.... Does anyone have good recipes for hoppin' john - or a reference - or suggestions? I'm thinking that definitely greens (collards), black-eye peas, ham, and maybe the hoppin' john - otherwise - brunswick stew (that I'd love to see recipes for that -- or again references as my Southern cookbook library is pretty good), biscuits and pecan pie for dessert... It would also be interesting to see what y'all are cooking too - the pea post is great....!

Thanks!

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

...and pecan pie for dessert... 

And sweet potato pie, too.

Of course, of course.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We are planning a very impromptu holiday party in hopes of bringing some cheer in this gloomy time. We have come up with an easy menu, but I would love some feedback.  Here's what I have so far:

Homemade biscuits with country ham spread

Homemade smoked turkey with rolls and condiments

Crudites with pimiento cheese

Cheddar olives

Spicy candied pecans

Gingerbread cake with lemon curd and whipped cream

Brownies (maybe?) or maybe that incredibly sweet Krispy Kreme bread pudding

Comments?  Anyone have a favorite ham spread recipe out there?  I have seen versions with butter and bourbon and others with mayo and mustard.

Pecan Tassies.

The traditional southern holiday party "finger food" dessert.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We are planning a very impromptu

Pecan Tassies.

I know I just saw a recent recipe for those - now, can I find it?? :wacko:

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

Pecan Tassies.

I know I just saw a recent recipe for those - now, can I find it?? :wacko:

Here you go. A recipe from Southern Living, the final authority on all things southern.

Pecan Tassies from Southern Living

And I do have to add that although Pecan Tassies are indeed tasty little morsels, and drip 'southern' as much as Spanish moss swinging from low tree branches, I think one reason for their popularity is how much fun that name is to say. You try it... Just try to say Pecan Tassies without a southern accent.

Now see there? Doesn't that make you jes' wanna join the Natchez Junior League?

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)