• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sformati

SWISS_CHEF

I have been on a sformato binge lately. I have done all the usual, like artichoke, asparagus, fennel, carrot, cardoon, red pepper, spinach etc. but on Christmas Eve we are invited to go to some friend's house and I must bring something vegetarian along for a pot-luck dinner so I am looking around for some unusual combinations.

If you come up with something really interesting and I will make it, photograph it and post it here...

(If you don't already know: a sformato is basically just a savory flan)

I have totally fallen in love with the roasted cauliflower that has it's own thread here on eG. After eating it hot out of the oven - the leftovers that make it into the fridge get incorporated into pasta sauce or soup. I add lots of cream or creme fraiche, fresh parmesan, maybe some chervil or whatever looks good in my herb garden. I suspect it would make a great base for your sformato.

I assume of course that cauliflower is available to you?

I have totally fallen in love with the roasted cauliflower that has it's own thread here on eG.  After eating it hot out of the oven - the leftovers that make it into the fridge get incorporated into pasta sauce or soup.  I add lots of cream or creme fraiche, fresh parmesan, maybe some chervil or whatever looks good in my herb garden.  I suspect it would make a great base for your sformato.

I assume of course that cauliflower is available to you?

I think that's a great idea! My mom used to make this dish when I was growing up; it was steamed cauliflower added to chicken broth with Angelhair pasta and lots of parmesan cheese. I think she might have also dropped a couple of raw eggs into the simmering soup just before serving (?). Very satisfying. I think it'd be delicious with the roasted cauliflower, too.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 8 months later...

This answers my question that brought me here.

In reading Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes, I found mention of Sformato di Carciofi. Seemed like something I would like but am not sure how it would be made. I did do some searches but was still confused.

Beware Babelfish translations. They are really weird.

Offhand I'd say you probably steam the hearts until soft and puree them. Traditional sformati, or at least the kind in Piemonte, involve a bechamel base, eggs, cheese, and then the puree of vegetables. Bake in individual custard molds or one large one, using a hot water bath around them as they bake (375-400F).

I must say that I've been making sformati for years without the bechamel, instead using 3 egg yolks and one egg, and a little milk, then cheese. When I did try it with the bechamel I found that it didn't seem to add much more to the game for the extra prep involved.

Thanks Kevin. I love anything artichoke but Ms. Mayes didn't give a description, just mentioned how good it was.

I haven't tried making it yet but plan to get some artichokes when I shop today. I didn't really care for the idea of Bechemal in it myself.

I found one site yesterday that showed the artichokes just cut into quarters. It looked very good but I couldn't find it again.

Almost all the recipes on-line are in Italian and I know very little Italian (except food) so even with dictionary in hand I have a hard time figuring things out.

On-line translations are beyond ridiculous.