• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hersheys chocolate cake: frosting got hard!

maui420

hi,

this morning i frosted the hershey chocolate cake, but i may of overcooked the frosting. would this cause the cake frosting to become hard? im cooking another cake, this time not cooking the frosting too long. how do i know the frosting is done?! is there something i should look for? thanks!

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa

3 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

i find that cooking the frosting on a low heat gives a better/smoother texture. for me, just combining the ingredients, i can taste to much of the powdered sugar.

You aren't supposed to "cook" the frosting, you are just melting the butter.  That's my take on it.

i find that cooking the frosting on a low heat gives a better/smoother texture. for me, just combining the ingredients, i can taste to much of the powdered sugar.
You aren't supposed to "cook" the frosting, you are just melting the butter.  That's my take on it.

Try making this according to how it's written and sift the powdered sugar.

It goes without saying that if you're not making the recipe according to the directions you'll have problems.

An idea for you is to find a cooked recipe because this one is not cooked which of course is why it failed.

hi,

not really, i like the way the frosting tastes slightly cooked. i feel it blends the ingredients better. the recipe failed because i added a cold liquid to the chocolate mixture. i remade the cake, but this time using warm milk and it came out the preferred way.

It goes without saying that if you're not making the recipe according to the directions you'll have problems.

An idea for you is to find a cooked recipe because this one is not cooked which of course is why it failed.

hi,

not really, i like the way the frosting tastes slightly cooked. i feel it blends the ingredients better. the recipe failed because i added a cold liquid to the chocolate mixture. i remade the cake, but this time using warm milk and it came out the preferred way.

Well you have a nice variation. Congrats.

this morning i frosted the hershey chocolate cake, but i may of overcooked the frosting. would this cause the cake frosting to become hard? im cooking another cake, this time not cooking the frosting too long. how do i know the frosting is done?! is there something i should look for? thanks!

I thought you meant it got too hard after you frosted the cake.

Y'know what's interesting to me? I've made the recipe on the Hershey can for over 50 years. I hadn't actually read the directions in eons until a few years ago. I tried it with melting the butter & stuff and I did not like it as much as the old way using the softened butter.

I also sub a coupla tablespoons of coffee for some of the milk.

Old palates die hard I guess.