• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
RickBehl

Birthday Meal

Hi,

I'm taking my other half out for a meal on her birthday in December in London and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. Both of us have a tendency to verge towards asian or fusion (whatever that may be this week) cuisine.

I would prefer somewhere that is a little bit 'different' but

the quality of the food is the main requirement. I'm not limited to any particular budget, so feel free to go wild in your suggestions !

Thanks

Rick

Providores or Hakkasan would be the obvious suggestions for quality, non-budget fusion. Though Hakkasan gets a bit noisy on evenings so may not be ideal for quiet birthday dinner.

I'm sure others will come up with more inventive ideas.

J

ps or the usual michelin-wannabe-fusion-joints nahm, mju, nobu (buy her the David Thompson thai book - which is awesome - and do nahm?)

pps or even the they-also-do-black-cod-places zuma, sumosan, tsunami (esp. the latter)

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

We've been to Providores a couple of times. Have to agree it is very good !

Hakkasan I have been to a while ago and I thought the food was average and definitely not worth the extra money. Maybe that has changed ?

I took her to Nobu for the last birthday. (The most expensive meal I have ever bought, although again fantastic food !).

She took me to Nahm for my birthday last year (Thai is my favourite), and I bought the book myself last weekend...

Haven't been to Zuma, Sumosan, Tsunami or Mju so they are contenders...

Any more for any more ? Has anyonbe been to MVH ? I went to Birdcage a few years ago and thought it was great (and very different).

Rgds

Rick

I've been to MVH. The food is not Asian/fusion- more Modern European- or as it calls itself 'Modern Classic food and wines'.

It's very theatrical with lots of 'free' appetisers and sorbets but the food was with the odd exceptional dish (notably soup) sub-excellent.

Blue Elephant ia always a winner for the special occasion. Extravagant decor, good food and great atmosphere.

We've been to Providores ...Hakkasan ... Nobu ...Nahm ... and I bought the book ...

LOL Rick, you really do like Asion/fusion, don't you ? :smile:

I think you should do something different for her birthday, and we're currently looking for members to report on Ramsay's new Connaught venture .... any chance ? :wink:

Club Gascon would be one of my choices, also it has a very interesting winelist and Pascal Ausignac (spelling correct?) does wonderful "raciones" of gutsy south western french food..

how about J.Sheekey? it can be a very romantic place to take someone...

..neither of these choices fusion I'm afraid...or just one course at Locatelli - a large portion of white truffles with pasta, come on, it is a birthday and it is a sexy place....

Hmmm... Maybe you are right, maybe I should try something different and not stick to the old Asian/Fusion deal...

I have to book fairly soon if I'm going anywhere remotely exclusive so I shall decide this weekend and let you all know on Monday !

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Rick

Sign in to follow this