• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More chefs moving

According to the Caterer, Hywel Jones is leaving Lolas to take over at Pharmacy (so as we all expected that did not last long). Allegedly the replacement at Lolas will be Robert Reid.

In addition (stop reading now if you live in London), the Old Manor House in Romsey is closing (or more accurately I think closed on Sunday), we rang to book a table for Saturday and were told they had sold the restaurant. So that's the best restaurant in Hampshire and one of about five decent Italians in the country gone.

:angry:

This is also becoming rather worrying we ring the Sandgate they close, then the Manor House they close, we will shortly be thinking of going to Ludlow again, so I suggest you all book before we attempt to and discover that Shaun Hill is retiring, that Claude Bosi is moving to France anf that the Stagg has stopped serving food.

Paul

A shame about Hywel Jones, although having Rob Reid's stuff at the Oak Room post-MPW I can say he's a fine catch.

Shame about the Old Manor House too. Many fond memories

Jon

PS And is Paul Rhodes off from Deca too? Remember seeing a piece recently (Restaurant mag, I think) about him starting a catering business (a la Phillip Britten?) - it didn't seem clear whether he'd be carrying on at Deca too

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Paul Rhodes has left Deca, but is still working with Nico in some capacity or other. Exactly what the arrangement is is not clear, but he is definately no longer head chef there.

Talking of Ludlow, there was a story circulating a little while ago that Claude and Claire Bosi were going to buy Winteringham Fields. I e mailed them about this and Claire said she didn't know where the story had come from, that no one could run Winteringham like the Schwabs and that it was far too a remote location for their tastes anyway.

I don't think Shaun will be retiring any too soon, but I think he does get itchy feet from time to time.

not that i'm in a rush to see annie and germain depart but if anyone is going to take over winteringham then they'd be in the top 3, i'm sure we'd make mr & mrs boisi very welcome up here!

especially as ludlow is a difficult 3 1/2 drive from York, whilst winteringham is 45 mins!

There must be some big money in outside catering these days, simon gueller has quit the eponymously titled restaurant he cooked at to set up a catering business too. Another leeds restaurateur did say though there's plenty of parties around where the bill hits £100,000.

cooking at gullers is now handled by his protege martel smith who was at his own place gateforth hall which has now closed.

you don't win friends with salad

I do wonder about all these catering/cookery schools/delis/supplier/catering staff agencies/consulatancies that are being set up by chefs. Is there really a market for them, or is that they are sick of cooking in a restaurant and want to do something else other than that for which they are actually qualified? Are we going to be reading about a lot of closures of this type of business in the near future, in the same way we have about a lot of restaurants?

Just been to Lola's for Lunch.

The food was pretty much up to standard ( Foie three ways was not great. The Balloltine was woefully underseasoned. The Label Anglais was wonderful though. ) The service was haphazard, but it was ever thus.

I am not sure how they will fare without HJ, but rereading my review from a while ago, I said that it would be max 6 months before he got itchy feet and wanted a wider budget and horizons. Pharmacy's gain will be thier loss

S

I had dinner at Lola's on Saturday. Menu has not changed much recently though there are a few new dishes. I had ravioli of oxtail with foie gras and beetroot then Lamb with canelloni of shoulder and a type of ratatoille followed by lemon 3 ways..all excellent. The service seemed very efficient and quite charming (apart from a waiter who I think may be deaf???? He seemed to get a few things wrong!) Otherwise, one of the best evenings I have had for ages. One waitress was very enthusiastic about wines and we had one of their wine flights (mini wine tating) plus a red Crozes Hermitage (I cant remember the producer though it was not overpriced)

Does anyone know if Hywel Jones has actually done his homework re the Pharmacy? I would not touch the Herford group with a bargepole, I thought they were trying to sell the Pharmacy but no-one was willing to pay the price. I think that everyone is incredulous that he has taken a job with a restaurant group that are going downmarket (just bought the Jamie wine bars) i dont think they are interested in fine dining and I think he is in for a big shock. Does anyone know anything more abouut this? He seemed toi be on such a good thing joining an independently run restaurant like Lolas

Dear Cabrales, no my name is not a play on one of Gordons books...I am known as Moreish Thomas...(have you seen the film?)

I have not eaten recently at Royal Hospital Road but had an excellent lunch at Claridges not so long ago (Gordon not cooking of course) It showed a wonderful "lightness of touch", such clean flavours, though I'm afraid I do not remember what I ate.

Paul Rhodes has left Deca, but is still working with Nico in some capacity or other. Exactly what the arrangement is is not clear, but he is definately no longer head chef there.

Nico ladenis has sent a letter to Restaurant magazine which they published this week in their first birthday issue. He says that Paul Rhodes isn't now, nor has ever been a consultant to him. Hes says that 95% of the menu is own, as they are at Incognico and have always been at all his other restaurants.

Paul Rhodes was asked for his opinion on what Nico had written by the magazine and he stated that he had in fact been a consultant to Nico restaurant group at some point in the past, but gives no further details.

So, that clears that up then!

Does anyone know if Hywel Jones has actually done his homework re the Pharmacy? I would not touch the Herford group with a bargepole, I thought they were trying to sell the Pharmacy but no-one was willing to pay the price. I think that everyone is incredulous that he has taken a job with a restaurant group that are going downmarket (just bought the Jamie wine bars) i dont think they are interested in fine dining and I think he is in for a big shock. Does anyone know anything more abouut this? He seemed toi be on such a good thing joining an independently run restaurant like Lolas

I was wondering the same thing myself. I really liked Lola's the one and only time I went...they seemed to be onto a good thing.

Pharmacy is hardly a restaurant. It's not even a gastric pub.

Last time I was there (and it was long ago) the cocktails were the big draw and the menu (a slip of paper stuck in a plastic stand-up display) was an afterthought of unmemorable sandwiches.

Anyway I can no longer bring myself to eat at a place where the window display looks like that of Boots (Duane Reade for the Yanks among us).

Then again, if they change the display, could they still call it Pharmacy ?

Discuss...

I read that Robert Glesson of the Lygon Arms has left, without explanation (to the public, anyway), fewer than two months after replacing his previous number Adrian Jones. I stayed & ate there two years ago - I can't remember who the chef was but it was lovely. Anyone been there more recently?