• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch boxes

prasantrin

I'm trying to figure out how I would bring my lunch to work in 

this box by Grant Achatz.

All the ones I want are already too expensive.  :sad:

That has to be a joke, right?

I just bought my beloved these for Christmas.

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Produ...aspx?id=1597670

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Produ...aspx?id=1604468

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Produ...aspx?id=1622755

Syrah, how much do these things hold?  How big (size-wise) are they?  Actually, never mind as I see they are in Australia.

I have no idea. They are currently wrapped under the tree. They look to be quite a decent size especially the fruit/vegetable and dip one and the sandwich one.

Fit & Fresh is an american brand, I think. I recall reading that on them as I wrapped.

A quick google found them on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Fresh-216-FF-Lunch/dp/B000FNCS5M

It's for charity! Most of them are pretty normal--Achatz's is the most far out (Tom Colicchio's is not-so-bad wall art). I like the Beastie Boys one, and also James Earl Jones' (I like things that are simple--and how can you not want a blessing from Darth Vader's voice?). Did you look at Rachel Ray's? :rolleyes:

Syrah, how much do these things hold?  How big (size-wise) are they?  Actually, never mind as I see they are in Australia.

The measurements and volumes are listed on the site. I like the fruit and veggie one, but why does it have to be round? I'm trying to avoid round containers...

It's for charity! Most of them are pretty normal--Achatz's is the most far out (Tom Colicchio's is not-so-bad wall art). I like the Beastie Boys one, and also James Earl Jones' (I like things that are simple--and how can you not want a blessing from Darth Vader's voice?). Did you look at Rachel Ray's? :rolleyes:

I guess my sarcastrometer is turned off today.

(and I have been up since 6 on a Saturday morning making Christmas cake)

I guess my sarcastrometer is turned off today.

(and I have been up since 6 on a Saturday morning making Christmas cake)

The roll-eyes was for Rachel Ray's lunchbox! It and Salman Rushdie's are the only ones that have pictures of themselves (and at least Salman Rushdie's picture is a little artistic, not just a blatant attempt at self-promotion!).

When should I expect my cake in the mail? :biggrin:

Never seen Rachel's show, so I don't really understand the reaction toward her.

As for the cake, one's out of the oven been doused with Grand Marnier, waiting for the other to come out. Makes the whole house smell wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The last entry in this topic was almost three years ago but there have been some interesting developments in the "Lunch Box" technology since that time.

In the "what won't they think of next?" category is this:

Someone sent me a link to a photo of this and (after I got over thinking it was a joke) I found there are a few links that have more detailed information (but not where to buy one as it is still in the "concept" stage).

This is the Sunflower Solar-Powered Lunch Box.

While I only rarely carry a "lunch box" (I have a Zojirushi bento box), there are times when something like this would certainly come in handy.

A local fad is the Goodbyn lunchbox (a local Christian school is selling them at a discount to elementary school students), encouraged because there are less small parts to lose (and in one case end up in a shredder as the part, a container lid, was in a stack of papers. Oy!

One of my neighbors, who has several young children, tells me that with the stickers, that personalize each one, it has saved a lot of early morning arguments about what belongs to each child.

The school likes them because they are easily stackable in the fridge, unlike some of the odd-shaped lunch boxes.

There are plenty of new styles in Insulated Lunch boxes and even the pickiest of consumers might find something interesting and useful at this online shop that carries an extensive line of lunch boxes, bags, totes and etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I start teaching in February next year, and for the first time in over a decade, I will *need* to bring my lunch to work, or else get stuck with canteen food. There is a limit to how many sausage rolls a girl can eat a term. I already have stacks of stackable plastic containers that we use to store food in the fridge and cupboards (specifically purchased all from teh same brand to make storage easier). I used those while on prac and they were okay, but I'm wondering if it's worth investing in something a little easier to tote around which is supplied with its own fork (based on my experiences witnessing people madly searching for forks at lunchtime, this is important). Specifically, I'm looking at Black + Blum containers. I've inspected a few at the shops, and they look good, but I'm wondering if anyone else has used them. Insulation properties aren't an issue, as there will be a fridge in the staffroom, and no doubt a microwave on site.

edited to fix link

Edited by Snadra (log)

I have quite a few metal tiffin boxes. 1 three tier pyramid shape, 3 three tier and 2 two tier normal shape, 2 one tier boxes with a little box inside for chutney. Then I have two insulated tiffins (normal metal tiffin boxes in a cage that go inside a plastic insulated box) that keep food warm from 6.30am until 12.30pm.

Actually tiffin boxes are something of an obsession with me. I like to buy new ones whenever I am in India as they are so cheap and also make great gifts.

Snadra, I have a Zojirushi Mr. Bento lunch box. It has four containers (one can hold soup) that are graduated in size. They stack and fit inside a cylinder with a cap that latches onto the top. The cap can be used for drinking or as a fifth container. The whole thing is carried in a knapsack and has a metal "spork" with a cover that snaps over the tines. The knapsack has pockets for napkins and condiments. The whole thing is about 18 inches tall and is dishwasher safe.

I bought mine from Amazon.com for about $38 USD. There is also a Mrs. Bento that is a little smaller.