• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining rec for West Bway & Grand area

jwjojo

Lupa is a few blocks north on Thompson between Bleecker and Houston. Awesome food.

Aurora Soho is near there - I haven't been (the one in Williamburg I remember as being good though) Aurora Soho Website

Chinatown is just a few blocks south of there - I'd check the Chinatown threads.

Not Italian or Chinese but very close to where you're mentioning are Tailor, Papatzul (Mexican) and the new Boqueria Soho (Spanish tapas, no reservations).

Thank you Daisy for your post. gee...not many with any ideas? hmmm. We ended up at Mooncakes and it was really good. I mean really good. Surprised no one mentioned it....I found great reviews everywhere and decided it was good for our needs. Great salad, nice staff, inventive menu. I would go again and again.

Ate at Lupa 2 weeks ago. Always solid. Tried to get in yesterday around 2pm. No chance, packed. Went to Mercer Hotel and ate downstairs. All apps but stellar. A place I haven't eaten at in 4, 5 years. I has a mix of oysters on the half shell, Crabcake and hamachi. SO had proscuitto, pineapple, etc. Could have done without the pineapple and I forget.

I'd go back to Mercer in a year or so. Atmosphere for the holidays was good. Food better than good.

If you can get to Otto, that might be your best bet or Scarpetta on 14th.

Thank you Daisy for your post.  gee...not many with any ideas?  hmmm.  We ended up at Mooncakes and it was really good.  I mean really good.  Surprised no one mentioned it....I found great reviews everywhere and decided it was good for our needs.  Great salad, nice staff, inventive menu.  I would go again and again.

Mooncakes...Chinese food, or what? Where is it? Lreda, the Mercer place - is it the Jean-Georges Vongerichten outpost?

Michael aka "Pan"

Mooncake Foods: from NYMAG: 28 Watts Street, Soho: Two couples joined by marriage—plus a restless mother-in-law who can’t stay out of the kitchen—give this comfy Pan-Asian canteen a conspicuous family feel. With its retro-diner décor, off-the-beaten-track address, and mostly $4–$8.25 price range, it’s a Soho anomaly where everything is made with care and served with a welcoming smile. It’s also a wellspring of savory sandwiches, salads, and snacks like springy wontons stuffed with snow-pea greens, sweetly spiced chicken wings, and delicate, exceedingly fresh jícama-stuffed spring rolls.

Recommended Dishes

Miso-glazed salmon, $8.80

Thank you Daisy for your post.  gee...not many with any ideas?  hmmm.  We ended up at Mooncakes and it was really good.  I mean really good.  Surprised no one mentioned it....I found great reviews everywhere and decided it was good for our needs.  Great salad, nice staff, inventive menu.  I would go again and again.

Mooncakes...Chinese food, or what? Where is it? Lreda, the Mercer place - is it the Jean-Georges Vongerichten outpost?

Yes, it's located in the Mercer Hotel on Mercer & Prince St

Mooncake Foods: from NYMAG:  28 Watts Street, Soho:  Two couples joined by marriage—plus a restless mother-in-law who can’t stay out of the kitchen—give this comfy Pan-Asian canteen a conspicuous family feel. With its retro-diner décor, off-the-beaten-track address, and mostly $4–$8.25 price range, it’s a Soho anomaly where everything is made with care and served with a welcoming smile. It’s also a wellspring of savory sandwiches, salads, and snacks like springy wontons stuffed with snow-pea greens, sweetly spiced chicken wings, and delicate, exceedingly fresh jícama-stuffed spring rolls.

Recommended Dishes

Miso-glazed salmon, $8.80

Great. I really appreciate this recommendation and plan on using it.

Michael aka "Pan"