• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lutefisk,

YoChefGregg

We have our lutefisk ordered and dream of eating our yearly portion.

Being of Swedish heritage, we prefer a white sauce; adding rustic mustard, wasabi or some other ingredient to give some flavor to our fish.

What condiments to you serve with your Christmas Eve lutefisk?

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

Being of Swedish heritage, we prefer a white sauce; adding rustic mustard, wasabi or some other ingredient to give some flavor to our fish.

Just say no!!!

• 3 weeks later...

:cool:

White sauce works well for me. (Drawn butter calls too much attention to what's actually there, as of this year's Julbord, anyhow. I still have trouble getting past the whole cooked-in-lye thing.) Better yet if there are a few carrots with dill on the plate, and a few chunks of roasted potato, and some serious aquavit in the glass.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I've never tasted lutefisk. My college roommate from Manitoba first told me about it -- his mom was from Oslo, I think. I've been reading a little bit about lutefisk for an upcoming party. For me, it's an unusual and totally interesting way to prepare cod.

Could you say something about the Christmas ritual, and what lutefisk actually tastes like?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack