• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paul Bocuse

Patrick Foley

I was recently flicking through Restaurant Magazine's 50 Best Restaurants website and noticed Paul Bocuse won the inaugral Lifetime Achievement Award. It says one of his achievements was training a "small army of accomplished chefs".

Does anyone know of any chefs who trained under him and what they went on to achieve?

Do you want to know chefs only in France? I don't know a whole lot, but here in New York there's quite a few. David Bouley trained under him, Kurt Gutenbrunner of Wallsé, some of the chef-instructors at the French Culinary Institute, there's some others I can't name off the top of my head. I've heard some crazy stories like Paul Bocuse and some other guys cooking 100 schnitzel at the same time. I'd like to see that.

Really, there are so many... indeed German chefs like Witzigmann and Winkler who were the first German three stars. Benoit Guichard who took over Jamin when Robuchon left. Off the top of my head I can't remember the names for sure but many starred French chefs were trained at Bocuse. The chef from l'Acajou, too. Haeberlin.

Daniel Rose?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog