• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Beer in North Jersey?

richl2214

I know its a summer drink but I want to make some Dark n Stormy's. Need a good source for Barritt's Ginger Beer in North Jersey. Specifically Bergen or Essex counties.

LMK. Would consider other Ginger Beer but Barritt's is preferred. My last resort is making it myself but I don't want to muck with that. I want a case or two to keep around and hate to have to get mail order and pay all that shipping.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I know its a summer drink but I want to make some Dark n Stormy's.  Need a good source for Barritt's Ginger Beer in North Jersey.  Specifically Bergen or Essex counties.

LMK. Would consider other Ginger Beer but Barritt's is preferred.  My last resort is making it myself but I don't want to muck with that.  I want a case or two to keep around and hate to have to get mail order and pay all that shipping.

Barritt's is on my list of impossible to find sodas, along with Reed's China Cola. You can buy it mail order or find a local distributor by following this link:

http://www.barrittsgingerbeer.bm/overseas.html

There are other good ginger beers like Bundaberg or Goslings you can use for a real Dark 'N Stormy. I think Gosling's has the same distributor as Barritt's.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

There are other good ginger beers like Bundaberg or Goslings you can use for a real Dark 'N Stormy. I think Gosling's has the same distributor as Barritt's.

Hi,

The Gundaberg is significantly sweeter than the Barritt's and has less ginger kick.

I can also recommend D&G Jamaican ginger beer which is available throughout the US.

Tim

ps: How about some Bermuda Fish Chowder to go along with the Dark & Stormy?

I would bet Gary's on rt 23 in wayne would have the gingerbeer...may want to give them a call

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I know it isn't Bergen or Essex county, but my local Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank has Barritt's in both bottles and cans. Might be worth an hour's drive to you.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I would bet Gary's on rt 23 in wayne would have the gingerbeer...may want to give them a call

tracey

I was just there, and Tracey is right! Gary's has plenty of Barritt's in bottles AND cans.

Enjoy your Dark 'n Stormys. :)

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

tracey

Thanks Tracey! Picked up a case yesterday!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I just bought a 6-pack at the liquor store inside A&P in Oakland.  I saw it and snapped it up immediately.  Now I've got no excuse not to open the Goslings we bought last September after a stellar visit to BDA.

I bet Trader Joe's has Ginger Beer.

• 1 month later...
I bet Trader Joe's  has Ginger Beer.

Indeed, they carry Reed's, which is very good. But I don't know how it compares to Barritt's. Now that I see everyone talking about it, I want to try Barritt's.

I don't think Reed's is quite as good as Maine Root, which like Barritt's, is difficult to find around here. Actually I think I've only seen Maine Root in New England, understandably given the brand name.

Someone else mentioned D&G. I see that everywhere, and it's much cheaper than most brands, but it's made with corn syrup and it's a little too sweet, I think.

I've actually made ginger beer myself, but it usually doesn't come out too well. I can make it strong, but not smooth.

• 5 months later...

Hi, tim! I got your email but am having trouble navigating eGullet!

No, I have not found a good chorizo. But I do have a Bermuda Fish Chowder recipe:

Yields: 24 servings

•4 ounces rum -- black

•3 pounds fish -- with bones

•3 ounces Worcestershire sauce

•3 tomatoes -- chopped

•1 cup onions -- chopped

•2 ounces butter

•1/2 teaspoon thyme

•1/2 cup parsley

•2 stalks celery

•salt and pepper

•1 gallon water

•2 ounces bacon

•2 ounces corn flour

•4 ounces tomato puree

•1 bay leaf

•1 onion

Directions:

1.Wash fish and place in a thick bottomed pan.

2.Add celery, parsley, whole onion and water. Bring to a boil and skim fat. Simmer 30 minutes.

3.Strain stock into a clean pan. Place fish on a a tray and keep in a cool place.

4.Melt butter in a thick bottomed pan, saute bacon, chopped onion and thyme 5 minutes.

5.Add tomato puree and fish stock.

6.Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.

7.Separate the meat from the bones.

8.Add the fish meat and the remainder of the ingredients.

9.Thicken the chowder with the diluted corn flour.

10.Correct the seasoning and colour. Colour can be rectified by adding gravy browning.

11.For each serving add: 1 tsp. rum & 2 dashes Bermuda sherry peppers.

Serving Ideas: Add some of Outbridge's rum and sherry peppers to this.

Jennifer A. Wickes

Food Writer, Recipe Developer

http://jenniferwickes.blogspot.com