• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ms. Chapin

ChefCAG

This was on the Kansas City Star Website at 6pm this evening.

Alot of us knew something had happened yesterday

Lauren Chapin, The Star’s restaurant critic for the last eight years, died Wednesday at St. Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City.

This is a very very sad day the Kansas City restaurant community. We have lost a very good friend and supporter of those of us who live and breathe food. She will be greatly missed. Peace to her family. :sad:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Lauren Chapin, The Star’s restaurant critic for the last eight years, died Wednesday at St. Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City.

This is a very very sad day the Kansas City restaurant community. We have lost a very good friend and supporter of those of us who live and breathe food. She will be greatly missed. Peace to her family.  :sad:

Wow - I had heard of her demise, then heard it was a false report so I stopped looking for news on kansascity.com.

I won't try to pretend I was a fan or in agreement with her (too many postings to the contrary) but certainly sad to see her untimely demise. And my sympathies to her daughters and to Tim.

Agree with her or not, she was a Missouri farm girl, well-traveled and a great supporter of the locals. She will be missed. I spent two days lamenting her loss; a day grateful that the news was errant, and now this. Perhaps a memorial fund at Broadmoor would be in order.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This is a very very sad day the Kansas City restaurant community. We have lost a very good friend and supporter of those of us who live and breathe food. She will be greatly missed. Peace to her family.  :sad:

Wow - I had heard of her demise, then heard it was a false report so I stopped looking for news on kansascity.com.

I won't try to pretend I was a fan or in agreement with her (too many postings to the contrary) but certainly sad to see her untimely demise. And my sympathies to her daughters and to Tim.

Agree with her or not, she was a Missouri farm girl, well-traveled and a great supporter of the locals. She will be missed. I spent two days lamenting her loss; a day grateful that the news was errant, and now this. Perhaps a memorial fund at Broadmoor would be in order.

I echo moosnsqrl's sentiments - word-for-word. If you haven't already, do take time to read the article about her in the Kansas City Star today.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com