• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grains of Paradise

I have in my possession some lovely looking "Grains of Paradise"

I understand they can be ground (like pepper) and used in seasoning mainly vegetable dishes and also meat, fish etc.

I have a recipe for Galat or Galat Dagga a Tunisian Spice mix containing both black peppercorns and also grains of paardise as well as cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

I would really appreciate a few GOOD recipes for both Grains of Paradise and also Galat Dagga.

I did check on the Tunisian Site (which another member has recently launched) but, although very interesting, didn't really find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Nandy

You might check the information on Gernot Katzer's spice pages

If you have not yet checked Recipezaar the recipes are quite good.

I always grind just before use and add it to food after cooking in most instances.

Very good on melons and fruit salads - if you like a spicy "bite" which I do.

I use it on tomatoes, in omelets, especially with mushrooms and on roasted vegetables, just prior to serving.

Somewhere in my stacks of cookbooks, I have a cookbook of North African recipes that includes a couple of recipes that use grains of paradise and as I recall, some of the Ethiopian recipes I have made, which call for black pepper have notes that it is a substitute for grains of paradise.

I would therefore assume that one could use the spice in similar dishes that have been converted to readily available western spices.

You might examine some of the recipes in this link.

I have had the spiced cheese made with grains of paradise.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a recipe for Galat or Galat Dagga a Tunisian Spice mix  containing both black peppercorns and also grains of paardise as well as cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Galat sounds almost exactly like Powder Forte a medieval spice mix which often included grains of paradise.

In that format I use them in all sorts of things from quince paste, to stews, meatballs, etc.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 10 years later...

So, Mr. Kim got me a bottle of Frontier Co-op Grains of Paradise.  I just ground some up and we tasted a fingerful.  I am extremely sensitive to heat and I hardly tasted a thing.  A tiny bit of heat and bitterness.  A hint of pepperyness.  The best by date is 5/21.  Am I missing something?   Is this a sub par brand???  

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

So, Mr. Kim got me a bottle of Frontier Co-op Grains of Paradise.  I just ground some up and we tasted a fingerful.  I am extremely sensitive to heat and I hardly tasted a thing.  A tiny bit of heat and bitterness.  A hint of pepperyness.  The best by date is 5/21.  Am I missing something?   Is this a sub par brand???  

For me it is a spice that has to be ON something that it compliments.  Try sprinkling a tiny bit on a strawberry or on melon - especially honeydew or cantaloupe or similar.  I used it last summer on a panzanella  with watermelon, tomato and red onion. I baked focaccia to have a high ratio of crust.  I'm on a low salt regimen so used very little.  I mixed the freshly ground grains of Paradise with a pinch of salt and some finely chopped basil, tossed that with the melon, tomatoes and onions, put the bowl in the fridge to chill for half an hour. Then I added some Argan oil - you should use EVOO -  and the bread and tossed again.  I love the flavor of Argan oil, not everyone does. 

Anyway the Grains of Paradise taste entirely different when paired with certain foods.

I like it on fresh pineapple, on very ripe pears, peaches.  I've even added it to applesauce to go with pork chops.

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett