• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck = confit legs + ? breasts

pstock

A neighbour asked me to show him how to make duck confit. We are going at it this weekend.

As a starting point, I bought two Mennonite-raised (so they should be pretty natural and pretty tasty) ducks. They are currently frozen so I don't yet have a good idea of their proportions (except their weight, 4 and 4.5 lbs.)

We are planning to confit of the 4 legs this weekend (and maybe the wings too? depends on their size I guess.)

Question is this. These natural ducks were pretty expensive ($6 a lb?) and so I am loath to waste anything. In my experience (in France), the breasts are saved, boned, for magret that measure about 6"x3"x1".

Here though I've found that duck breasts are pathetic little things unsuitable for much. (Maybe French magret ducks are specially raised?)

If these breasts seem substantial enough, we'll go the magret route.

But it they are skimpy, what suggestions does anyone have for making the most of two legless, wingless, breast-still-on duck carcasses? roast? other?

thanks

Peter

Edited by pstock (log)

I believe magret are traditionally made from the breasts of ducks raised for foie gras and they are indeed far more substantial than most breasts.

On the other hand, even smaller breasts can be boned out and made into a tasty, modestly-size entree. Jacques Pepin makes an excellent salad dressing with duck fat, tamari/soy and (I believe) sherry vinegar which, when tossed on your favorite salad greens makes them an excellent match with a pan-roasted breast and some potatoes.

I've never had a duck breast to small to make a course out of.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

When I make confit, I always start out with whole ducks, too. I usually end up serving the boned breasts as a meal. I also make stock from the bones and render any extra fat. This year, I've been thinking I might use some of the breast meat in a raft to clarify the stock for consomme. I've also considered trying to cure and dry the breasts as duck prosciutto. For that matter, you could try curing and smoking them - hot-smoked duck breast is a wonderful thing.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

What about Duck ham. I seem to be forever talking about Heston Blumenthal on here, but... For his recent versions of the snail porridge dish, where he had previously used jabugo ham, he now makes his own cured duck breast ham. Might be worth a try. And obviously use the carcass for stock.

When I make confit, I always start out with whole ducks, too. I usually end up serving the boned breasts as a meal. I also make stock from the bones and render any extra fat. This year, I've been thinking I might use some of the breast meat in a raft to clarify the stock for consomme. I've also considered trying to cure and dry the breasts as duck prosciutto. For that matter, you could try curing and smoking them - hot-smoked duck breast is a wonderful thing.

I tried the duck proscuitto last year and I think you do need actual magret for that. By the time they dry out, a regular duck brest is pretty teensy.

Also, I don't think there's any law that say's you can't confit a breast. I've done it before and it came out fine.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I tried the duck proscuitto last year and I think you do need actual magret for that. By the time they dry out, a regular duck brest is pretty teensy.

Good to know! You just saved me two duck breasts. Thanks.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

One answer for all of the extra bits including your breasts (the duck ones that is)

Rillet! I'm sure there are posts that talk about it. Or if not then Paula Wolfert's "Cooking of Southwest France" will have instructions.

If not then I'll do a post.

the gizzards are tasty breaded with a nice brioche breadcrumb and deep fried, the heart can be marinated, skewered and grilled.. The liver can be sauteed or made into terrine, even if it's not from a fattened duck. The neck and carcasse used to make a duck stock. The breast either smoked and sliced thin for salad or grilled/sauteed whole. Google 'canard sur coffre' for a nice way to cook the duck breast on the bone. The legs confit and served whole or made into rillettes, I haven't heard of breasts being made into rillete. Those are the most traditional preparations for duck bits. I'm sure someone uses the lungs in some way but I don't know of any.

I confit wild ducks and geese quite often. With geese I use the legs only but with small ducks (like the wigeon pictured below with Canada goose legs) I use the whole duck. The breast ends up slightly drier than the legs but this can be rectified by breaking it up and mixing a bit of the duck fat with it.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

Canada goose makes a fine prosciutto BTW. VERY dark however.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0008_edited.jpg

did the prep this weekend and the breasts turned out to be fabulously huge. about a pound each. gorgeous things. we'll have one tonight roasted and I am going to try the other one cured a la chefsimon.org

thanks for all the suggestions.

Peter

A neighbour asked me to show him how to make duck confit. We are going at it this weekend.

As a starting point, I bought two Mennonite-raised (so they should be pretty natural and pretty tasty) ducks. They are currently frozen so I don't yet have a good idea of their proportions (except their weight, 4 and 4.5 lbs.)

We are planning to confit of the 4 legs this weekend (and maybe the wings too? depends on their size I guess.)

Question is this. These natural ducks were pretty expensive ($6 a lb?) and so I am loath to waste anything.  In my experience (in France), the breasts are saved, boned, for magret that measure about 6"x3"x1".

Here though I've found that duck breasts are pathetic little things unsuitable for much. (Maybe French magret ducks are specially raised?)

If these breasts seem substantial enough, we'll go the magret route.

But it they are skimpy, what suggestions does anyone have for making the most of  two legless, wingless, breast-still-on duck carcasses? roast? other?

thanks

Peter