• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard sell of the tip - a new one on me

We'll be familiar with the "near scam" of adding a service charge to the bill and then leaving the credit card machine software set up so that it still asks if you want to leave a tip. Disreputable in my view but something regular diners are alert to.

But, this week, we were paying in a fairly well known Manchester Chinatown restaurant and the waiter actually says" if you want to leave a tip, press this button". When we mentioned the service charge, he said "well, press that one , then".

I've never come across such a blatant push before. And it was, clearly, a blatant push. I gather it isn't a one-off. The problem of this restaurant doing it has been reported on local website, Manchester Confidential.

And the place? The Little Yang Sing.

Food was also pretty hit & miss (even bearing in mind this is only a GFG Cooking 1). We'll not be going back.

John Hartley

Yeah it is frustrating, but then so many people feel unable to not leave extra tips for some reason. I get a bit annoyed with the general idea of a service charge anyway, its not an obligatory payment, its more a compliment of the service on the night. The last meal I was at, the waiter was a bit useless so we scribbled the service charge and left a smaller amount (he had redeemed himself a little). To my knowledge, you're within your rights to do so.

The last meal I was at, the waiter was a bit useless so we scribbled the service charge and left a smaller amount (he had redeemed himself a little). To my knowledge, you're within your rights to do so.

I think that's right, as long as the service charge is described on the menu as "optional", which it has to be to qualify as "tronc" and be free of National Insurance Contributions for both staff and employer.

We'll be familiar with the "near scam" of adding a service charge to the bill and then leaving the credit card machine software set up so that it still asks if you want to leave a tip. Disreputable in my view but something regular diners are alert to.

But, this week, we were paying in a fairly well known Manchester Chinatown restaurant and the waiter actually says" if you want to leave a tip, press this button". When we mentioned the service charge, he said "well, press that one , then".

I've never come across such a blatant push before. And it was, clearly, a blatant push. I gather it isn't a one-off. The problem of this restaurant doing it has been reported on local website, Manchester Confidential.

You think that's bad? There are a few hotels in London (Connaught for one) which not put a service charge on drinks in the bar (fine by me due to the excellent staff) but then the credit card machine makes you add an extra gratuity before you can process the payment!! Obviously each time I have just added a penny but still...

I haven't made a fuss because of the type of place it is and I'm always with guests or the good lady and obviously don't want to make a tit of myself. Also The Connaught Bar at the moment is the nicest bar and the nicest room in the whole of London.

Anyhow would be interested if anyone knows of any laws against this as am planning an e-mail to the manager regarding this.

You think that's bad? There are a few hotels in London (Connaught for one) which not put a service charge on drinks in the bar (fine by me due to the excellent staff) but then the credit card machine makes you add an extra gratuity before you can process the payment!! Obviously each time I have just added a penny but still...

I haven't made a fuss because of the type of place it is and I'm always with guests or the good lady and obviously don't want to make a tit of myself. Also The Connaught Bar at the moment is the nicest bar and the nicest room in the whole of London.

Anyhow would be interested if anyone knows of any laws against this as am planning an e-mail to the manager regarding this.

How about a call to Westminster City Council's Trading Standards people?

Paul - is it that the staff are pressing the "yes" for gratuity button before they give the machine to you? Because surely that is illegal.