• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victorian Winery and Farm Dining

jkim

Can people recommend good Victorian Wineries and Farm Restaurants, within 100km of CBD Melbourne, to have a Saturday lunch with the family? I would like many recommendations, since it is a late Christmas/end of year booking, and thus most will likely be full at many places on the dates desired.

I want really good food, but the folks will probably be interested in the view and other things to do kind of stuff.

debortoli's, dixons creek, yarra valley

monalto, red hill, mornington peninsula

sunnybrae, birregura, west of geelong

is my short list. there are many others......just cant think at the minute.

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

Can people recommend good Victorian Wineries and Farm Restaurants, within 100km of CBD Melbourne, to have a Saturday lunch with the family?  I would like many recommendations, since it is a late Christmas/end of year booking, and thus most will likely be full at many places on the dates desired.

I want really good food, but the folks will probably be interested in the view and other things to do kind of stuff.

Yarra Valley - TarraWarra Estate (visit the art gallery there, too - Australian Art); Yering Station; Yarra Valley Dairy (buy some of their Persian feta while there); Balgownie Estate (a spa resort in a vineyard - I ate well there during the Opera in the Vineyard weekend).

Red Hill area - Red Hill Vineyard; Montalto (a couple of dining choices - cafe and restaurant - and I believe they do epicurean picnics down by a pond/dam and deliver it in an old Morrie Minor. Some interesting artwork round the property. Organic garden onsite.)

Check out The Age Good Food Guide, The Food and Wine Lover's guide to Melbourne and Surrounds, or The Foodie's Guide to Melbourne.

And do check out http://www.visitvictoria.com/ where you will find plenty more ideas. They have a good section on the wine regions.

Good luck...

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

Mornington Estate in Red Hill has my vote.

Best Pinot Noir maker in the land, and great food too. Nat White is a great host.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Yarra Valley gets my vote, and Yering Station or Rochford would be the lunch stop, with afternoon tea at Yarra Valley Dariy (cheese tasting) or Domaine Chandon (champagne tasting), or both!

Alternatively, Daylesford/Hepburn Springs is also one of my favorite day trips. The shops & galleries are great to wander around. Forest trails are relaxing and fresh mineral water is fun to bottle. It is home to the award winning Lake House Restaurant, which has some wonderful lunch specials (dinner is very $$$)

Also, for family things:

- Hanging Rock is not bad, and has a few wineries nearby.

- Mornington Penninsula, with it's hedge mazes, strawberry farms, and scattered wineries. Foodwise, these can have quaint ambience but nothing mouthwatering or too creative. Perhaps dine at MontAltos if you pick this option