• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Writer searching for curry nirvana

Tomatom

Hi, I'm writing a book on my global search for the perfect curry. In January I'm in India traveling through Chennai, Puducherry, Trichy, kerala, Goa and Mumbai and would welcome any suggestions from high end dining, cookery schools and to street food.

I'm open to taken diversions to other places too. later next year I'm tackling northern India.

You may have already seen it, but you might find some possibilities in Kerala and Cochin here that may be of interest to you.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Tomatom it's a hard life eh?! :biggrin:

Came back from Goa last week, the tan is still intact, and I would just try as many Xacutti's as you can muster; the three Masala's mixed at the last minute to create this dish is the most complex/addictive curry I've ever tasted. And I've tasted. My personal favourite was from a place in Colva called Mickey's, served with a cheese stuffed Naan. Umm, naan with molten cheeeeese interior.

As many people told me before my visit you'll soon be addicted to the vegetable dishes, initially I didn't believe them being such a conspicuous carnivore. But soon a day didn't pass with a cauliflower concotion.

You enjoy yourself and before you ask, no, I had no gastric problems neither did anyone I met.