• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Klatsch: Kitchen Reorganization

Klatsch team

Thanks for pulling this back up, @Okanagancook.  I have a few Scary Drawers that I should maybe start working through, although I probably won't any time soon.

An interesting point is the "when did you last use it" test. We remodeled our kitchen 9 years ago, and that meant completely emptying it out. I put quite a few seldom-used things in a storage bin that went into one of our outbuildings. This summer, for the first time, I found myself retrieving one thing from that bin. Maybe it's time to let the rest go.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

IMG-0024.thumb.jpg.e7a05ffe84bee174918b5aa148adf5fe.jpgIMG-0025.thumb.jpg.707c15f2fdebeffa7e034a44d6c46e13.jpg

This is an interesting topic...need to go back and explore.

Today I put back my Pantry items into the newly painted pantry.  I was a fairly large job but not too bad.  I just had to go through 'stuff' that needed to be chucked.  Very happy with the result.  I have a bank of cabinets on the right side where I put most of my spices. One whole shelf dedicated to Mexican peppers and spices.

I love that space. Great organization.

My pantry is a big cabinet with sliding drawers and a big closet in the cellar.

It works,  but isnt so pretty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@TdeV  that is an awesome Cadco convection oven on a trolley.

Sweet. I was looking at them just when the Breville smart oven came out.  It ended up being a little big for the allotted space and BSO won out

It is big and should be run on its own circuit which why I have it on a trolley...to move to a dedicated circuit.  It is also extremely noisy.  The blast of air coming at you when you open door can take your breath away 😟  But it can really cook fast.  I don’t use it much for us but do when we have company..it’s my second oven..or was purchased as my second oven that is until I got the CSO.  I should sell it.

• Like 2

Oh man, I'm jealous.   You should see my basement and my craft room and my closets and kitchen....sigh.  It's overwhelming.  You'd think now of all times would be a good time to tackle it all, but I can't even bring myself to look at the rooms.

All I want to do is be outside in the garden.

I've never read this whole thread...I'll do so and maybe that will get me motivated!

• Like 2

We bought a big metal shelving unit and put it in the closet in the foyer.  We planned the closet  for hanging guests' coats and the like.  We finally decided that we like extra food storage more than we like  guests!  Can always toss the clothing over the back of a chair but you can't do that with cans and boxes of stuff. If I had my druthers, I would move the washer and dryer upstairs and convert the laundry room to a big walk-in pantry.  It would let me redefine the work "hoarder".

• Like 4
  • Haha 2