• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Klatsch: Kitchen Reorganization

Klatsch team

Actually, I think this drawer is pretty easy to organize: start by getting rid of the 3/4 of it that you don't actually need or use. You have two cocktail strainers in there! Surely there must be other stuff that you don't use, or at least use so rarely that it could go in a box in the closet.

Of course you're right that there's stuff in there I don't use, and I always think I need to go through it and pare down the contents. I promise to do that this weekend, and I'll show you the results.

I do use the two cocktail strainers, though. Here's the thing: After living for most of the last 20 years without a dishwasher, I'm reveling in the luxury of having one. I love my dishwasher and take full advantage of having it. This means, for me, having two of many tools that I use frequently -- one can be in use and one can be in the dishwasher. So there are two citrus squeezers, two cocktail strainers, two (okay, maybe more) sets of measuring spoons and cups. There are, as Erin noted, way more than two whisks, but I really do use most of them regularly.

The Rubbermaid or similar storage for your patio sounds like a practical alternative. Cookware is treated more harshly while earning its keep, so I doubt it would even notice it was Winter. If it's something that is prone to rust, you may need to do something extra to protect it, but I have kept well seasoned cast iron Dutch ovens in patio storage with little problem.

Looks like you can get a lot more on that closet wall storage, unless weight is an issue. Lots of white space showing between and around things. White space is an important design element, but you could just close your eyes -- or at least squint a bit -- when you open the closet door. Or turn your head and feel around with your hands for whatever you need.

A few questions, Janet: on the top shelf, are those two black things more coffee makers? If so do you use them, and how often? Can you lose the old printer?

I think Chris H is on the right track. At some point you may need to get really ruthless with yourself. As a culinary hoarder, I know whereof I speak. :wink:

With respect to the scary drawer, one thing to consider is a DIY organizer in there. That little flatware organizer in there only organizes a tiny portion of the space. Chances are there is no commercially available organizer that fits the exact dimensions of your drawer. Even the expandable ones, albeit an improvement, would only fit perfectly in one dimension -- and certainly not in the critical height dimension. Because it lacks significant height, a flatware organizer tray is just not going to contain bulky gadgets all that well.

There are a lot of ways to make your own organizer. At the most basic level you can use heavy corrugated cardboard, cut several strips the length and a couple the width of the drawer, cut notches so they fit together, make a grid and not worry about the fact that it's unattractive and utilitarian -- it's in a drawer after all, not out in the open. If you're more ambitious and have skills with a saw or access to someone with those skills, you can do it with wood or masonite like this, though in a pattern that works for you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Another thought - 3M hooks which can be removed without damaging most surfaces. I have them inside my cabinets to hang various things such as sieves and even my mandoline! They are surprisingly sturdy if you choose the right size.

ETA:

By the way - don't discard your dish rack! Recently my dishwasher gave up the ghost and it took a week or two to get it replaced. Oh what I wouldn't have given for one of the many dishracks I discarded over the years! Put it away somewhere but don't get rid of it.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I do use the two cocktail strainers, though. Here's the thing: After living for most of the last 20 years without a dishwasher, I'm reveling in the luxury of having one. I love my dishwasher and take full advantage of having it. This means, for me, having two of many tools that I use frequently -- one can be in use and one can be in the dishwasher. So there are two citrus squeezers, two cocktail strainers, two (okay, maybe more) sets of measuring spoons and cups. There are, as Erin noted, way more than two whisks, but I really do use most of them regularly.

How often do you run your dishwasher? I end up running mine basically every day (sometimes twice!), even when it's not totally full, for just this reason. If you are concerned about energy efficiency or water use, most dishwashers have a "short cycle," and are in general much more water-efficient than hand-washing anyway.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

A few more space maximizing tactics.

gallery_6903_111_13663.jpg

Plate stackers.

gallery_6903_111_7784.jpg

Shelf separator.

gallery_6903_111_23167.jpg

And the previously mentioned 3M hook on cabinet door. It's not wise to hang anything too weighty on a door as you may cause it to misalign in time.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Janet, I did not notice the dishrack in question in any of your pictures, but if it's one of the usual plastic ones that defy storage unless placed on a flat, horizontal surface, I'd say ditch it and get a folding one like one these shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=...sl_1uut6ut59b_b

That way, it can be stored verically until needed, then folded out (I hear Alton Brown in the background grumping about a "uni-tasker" :raz: )

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Your upper cabinets are completely flat on the bottom, right? I have older cabinets, and there's a bit of frame/edging around the bottom, with the base set about 2" higher than the bottom of the wood. The previous tenant put tack nails/picture nails all along there, giving me extra storage for utensils with holes and potholders.

Also, I know you prefer to prep near your stove, but I've been prepping opposite mine, because I have a lot more space on that side. But, everything goes into a bowl or something and sits next to the stove, so it's just as easy to hand. For me, though, I'm better off prepping and then cooking, rather than doing at the same time. I'm novice enough to still feel stressed at trying to chop and watch a pot.

Edited by Allura (log)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Anna, I love those shelf separators. I have one (see below), but should get more. Thanks for reminding me. And the hook trick might work for a few tools -- I'll have to think about that. I see a visit to the Container Store in my future.

Continuing on. . .

Two more cabinets that hold prep tools, bowls and such are above the counters on either side of the stove:

To the left:

gallery_62439_6331_513.jpg

I try to keep the things I need most for prep in this cabinets. I wish I had space for a wall mounted spice rack like I used to, because as you can see, the spices take up a ton of room (there's even a third one in my pantry). There are also prep bowls, measuring cups and some baking dishes there.

And the right:

gallery_62439_6331_29116.jpg

Here's the one shelf separator I have, on the top shelf. Some of this Tupperware/Rubbermaid could go elsewhere, because although I use the smaller containers pretty regularly, I don't use the larger ones.

I know I have enough bowls for the entire city of Atlanta, but I've gotten used to having a lot. I probably need to figure out which ones I use the most and move the others to the closet. They're currently stacked so deep it's a pain to dig through and find the bowl I want.

I also store extra cocktail equipment here, since this is where I make cocktails.

Here's the cabinet above the stove, where I keep oils, vinegars, sauces, etc.

gallery_62439_6331_2401.jpg

This actually works pretty well for me, although to reach the back row of bottles, I either have to pull out the step stool or get the barbecue tongs.

Overall, these cabinets aren't too badly organized. When I moved in I put a fair amount of thought into what I'd need close at hand, and I did a good job with that. Mostly, it's more of what Chris mentioned earlier -- too much duplication.

But as always, more suggestions are welcome.

I just realized that I haven't posted a photo of my main dish/glassware cabinet. This is above the area where I keep the blender, food processor and mixer. It's also above the dishwasher, which is why the dishes and glassware are there.

gallery_62439_6331_7175.jpg

It holds my "everyday" glasses and dishes, plus quite a few extras. As I mentioned, my dinner plates and pasta bowls are too big to fit there, so those go here:

gallery_62439_6331_25605.jpg

This is the top part of my pantry -- it's the deep cabinet at the hall end of the kitchen. This is probably the most frustrating space I have to deal with in the entire kitchen. I installed pull-out drawers in the lower cabinet (see below), but with the upper pantry cabinet, the upper shelf is too high to make a pull-out drawer efficient, and for the lower shelf, I don't think the drawers would be strong enough to hold my dishes.

So, behind the dishes on the lower shelf and especially behind the toaster on the upper shelf is a whole lot of very inconvenient space. On the lower shelf are some things that are too long for any other cupboards -- rolling pins and long tongs. I also have some dishes at the back that I don't use often, but that's about it.

The lower pantry cabinet is much better:

gallery_62439_6331_8678.jpg

I couldn't find pull-out shelves exactly the width of the cabinet (of course), so I store narrow items along the sides.

I recently invested in several of Oxo's square and rectangular canisters, which have made the shelves a lot neater. I love these canisters. The lids seal and release easily and they fit together nicely. Plus they come in a good variety of sizes and shapes.

I would love to have more pantry space, but I'm fortunate to live right next to a grocery store, so I can get by without stocking up too much. But if I could figure out a way to use some of the upper cabinet space for pantry staples, I'd be happy.

With regards to your spices, I have bought a couple of these, and rather than mount the metal plate, I have attached all of the canisters to my fridge. Works like a charm. There are good brands and cheap ones. I picked up some cheaper ones to supplement what I already had for $2 a tin.

Originally I thought that they would get in my way and that I would be knocking them off the fridge all of the time, but I haven't had a problem. I can fit 9 of them across the side of my fridge in a row. Two rows have me almost covered in the spice dept.

Irishgirl, I've seen those and wondered how well they'd work on the side of the fridge. Good to know they stay up, and I'll definitely keep them in mind. I can't fit all my spices there, but I might be able to free up one of the spice turntables, which would be great.

Plus, looking at my kitchen with new eyes, I've realized that I may be able to fit a spice rack on the strip of wall by my prep area -- maybe not the magnetic one you have, but something.

Thanks!

With respect to the scary drawer, one thing to consider is a DIY organizer in there.

[. . . . ]

I was going to say that baskets, either woven or metal mesh, make great organizers, because they come in a bunch of different sizes. So I hurried out to the kitchen to take a photo of mine, and ran smack into a self-induced intervention:

gallery_6393_149_20800.jpg

Looks like I'm a candidate for a Hennes twelve-step program.

An outdoor storage bin (or bins) is a good idea, assuming what you want to put in there (most of that copper? Some of the less-used bowls?) 1) will withstand the weather; 2) will fit. I have two Rubbermaid cabinets outside, where I keep my deep-fryer, some LeCreuset, the one Staub piece in my possession, a sausage stuffer, a huge stockpot, etc. Everything seems happy.

Metro shelving is also a good option, but if you're not happy with the industrial look, maybe a baker's rack in this position?

gallery_1_295_45191.jpg

For example, something like this could be adapted with hooks so that you could hang your copper for display. Those mini-cocottes could go on the top shelf, as well as some of that glassware on your bookshelf.

I should warn you, though, that someone once suggested (George Carlin, maybe?) that stuff accumulates to fill the space allotted it. Exhibit 1:

gallery_6393_149_23711.jpg

Exhibit 2:

gallery_6393_149_691.jpg

Finally, I'm interested how people decide what stays out on the counter. Janet, you've got a KA mixer, a blender and a food processor out in the open, but not your toaster or your deep fryer. Anna puts her coffeemaker away every morning. My coffeemaker and toaster have permanent claims to counter space, but blender, food processor and mixer get stowed. I often wonder (with no results) if my food processor lived on the counter, would I use it more? There are plenty of times when I knife my way through a task just because I don't want to dig into the cabinet, which is all of two feet away.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I see lots of unused space--on the walls to the right and esp. the left of your stove where the knives are, and in the "air rights" above your island.

If you live near one, get yourself to Ikea. They have great "wall storage" systems for kitchens. The foundation is a rail that runs across a wall (under cabs or not) with a range of accessories that hang from them--paper towel holders, caddies for small items, small shelves, spice racks, or just simple hooks. Until my recent kitchen renovation, I used them to hang everything--cheese graters, sieves, my food mill and chinois, caddies that I filled with spatulas, whisks, etc. You get the idea. It gets everything off your counter and gives you more prep space. It was the nicest part of my otherwise awful kitchen. You can see some examples at the Ikea site:

Ikea Wall Storage Systems

You could also use a hanging rack or shelf above your island. There's the traditional pot rack idea. Or a simple shelf just above eye level might be a nice place to display things, such as your collection of mini-cocottes (which I love!). I've seen these kind of hanging shelves in design magazines on either side of vent fans over island cooktops. Here's another Ikea item that gives you the idea, though you could probably build something similar yourself if you wanted different materials, such as wood.

hanging shelf

Sorry if it seems like I'm pushing Ikea. It's just that I've had great luck with their kitchen stuff, and the prices are very reasonable.

I'm with Linda: hie thyself to an Ikea. I got a cool ceiling mounted pot rack, which hangs over my sink for something like five bucks. (I'll post a pic tomorrow.)Ikea excels at solutions for kitchen storage at a great price.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I can't speak for Janet, but the problem I have with hanging racks is that they're not very stable. You go to grab a pan (or hang one) and the whole thing swings back and forth, seeming to threaten the integrity of the ceiling. That's one thing when you own the place; something else when you've installed it illegally.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I can't speak for Janet, but the problem I have with hanging racks is that they're not very stable. You go to grab a pan (or hang one) and the whole thing swings back and forth, seeming to threaten the integrity of the ceiling. That's one thing when you own the place; something else when you've installed it illegally.

I've never had a stability problem (or perhaps I unconsciously compensate when grabbing a pan through habit?)

OK, I just checked and pulled off a cast iron pan and nuthin' swung.

The own/rent dichotomy is valid. But when Janet moves she could leave it there for the next tenant-- she'd be paying it forward for a few bucks.

But pot rack or not, I recommend a trip to Ikea.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Linda and Maggie, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely add a trip to Ikea to my itinerary. I've never had a pot rack, so I'm undecided about whether I'd like one. There's one in the kitchen at work, but I'm not crazy about it because it's just a little too high for someone of my height. I can get the pans down, but can't always put them back up without a step stool.

On the other hand, if the rack is over the counter between the kitchen and living room, height isn't such a big issue. I could have it low enough to reach, but wouldn't be hitting my head on it.

If you don't want to make holes in the walls or ceiling, that ends the pot-rack discussion. But if you're willing to make those holes and deal with repairing them when you move out (or just sacrificing whatever part of the security deposit they withhold for holes) then I really think you will like having a pot rack. When I installed my pot racks, I couldn't believe how much stuff they held so much more efficiently than any cabinet or shelf. You should be able to fit the entire contents of your main pots-and-pans cabinet on a medium-size pot rack (or both cabinets on a large one), with room on top for the lids and possibly some spots to hang a few key larger utensils. And then you get those cabinets back for other storage. Plus you don't have to dig around for stuff -- you don't have one pot buried under two other pots so you have to take all three pots out, unearth the one you want, put the other two back and repeat that whole process in reverse after cleanup time.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Plus you don't have to dig around for stuff -- you don't have one pot buried under two other pots so you have to take all three pots out, unearth the one you want, put the other two back and repeat that whole process in reverse after cleanup time.

This is a big draw for me, because that's exactly what I have to do. It's not that I can't fit my cookware in those two cabinets, but what I find is that in general I use the bigger pieces more, and the dynamics of cookware cabinets pretty much dictate that the big pieces are always under several other pieces.

I have to say, in all my years of organizing cabinets, it has never occurred to me to do that. I may do that with my nesting bowls too. I mostly use the largest of the three, so if I just invert them . . .

Dave (the Cook) mentioned the sway problem. This is definitely a problem when you hang racks from high ceilings. My mother's rack has fairly long chains and if you apply lateral pressure it will sway. When you have low ceilings, this is less of a problem, especially if you have the good fortune to have studs placed a little bit wider apart than the edges of the rack. That allows you to have the chains on a little bit of an angle, which provides for an extra increment of stability.

Plus you don't have to dig around for stuff -- you don't have one pot buried under two other pots so you have to take all three pots out, unearth the one you want, put the other two back and repeat that whole process in reverse after cleanup time.

This is a big draw for me, because that's exactly what I have to do. It's not that I can't fit my cookware in those two cabinets, but what I find is that in general I use the bigger pieces more, and the dynamics of cookware cabinets pretty much dictate that the big pieces are always under several other pieces.

If you only make this one change to your kitchen you will so happy! Ever since I put up my rack (shown on another thread) I am forever wondering why I didn't figure out a way before! The thing is, not only is it easier to reach for a pan, you end up reaching for the RIGHT pan rather than the one that is easiest to get at. :biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog

So far, I've taken Chris's advice and gone through the scary drawer and pulled a lot of stuff that I don't use, or don't use often. Some of it will probably go to Goodwill and some I'll keep elsewhere. I might pull more stuff, and will take photos to show what I'm discarding or moving.

I should probably explain why I have so much stuff. When you work for a cookware store, you make no money but you get freebies from vendors and you get great discounts on cookware. You get incentive gifts from vendors for selling merchandise. I also belong to IACP, which occasionally gives members free stuff too. This explains why. for instance I have so many whisks, as Erin noticed. I have three non-stick skillets and a non-stick griddle, all of which were vendor gifts. I won't go on, but you get the idea.

I know, I know -- poor me. But here's the thing -- if you had the chance to get free stuff, would you turn it down? If you had the chance to get a five piece set of Mauviel copper for less than $200, could you pass it up? I couldn't, so here I am. I suppose I need more willpower.

The end result of this reorganization is that you'll be able to get lots more stuff.