• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NOLA Upscale Dining...

Holly Moore

Heading to New Orleans Friday for a few days. I' am hoping to travel light meaning, among other things, no suit, sports jacket or tie. While I will be focusing on places for my web site, I would like to fit in one or two more upscale meals. Places like Cochon, Commander's Palace, Galatoire's, Herbsaint.

Are these places where I will be comfortable and welcome in sports shirt and Dockers? Jeans? If not at dinner, at Lunch?

Also, anyone have an in at Cafe du Monde? Or an email address? I'd like to get into their kitchen to photograph the beignet frying process. Sometime I can connive my way into such a busy spot, but many times they decline if something hasn't been set up ahead of time.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You'd also be okay at MiLa and Upperline, both of which are great restaurants.

eta: also Brigsten's and NOLA.

If we're suggesting where you could go in those clothes, I'd highly suggest Iris, which has recently moved to the quarter (321 N. Peters; irisneworleans.com). Unfortunately, it doesn't have the neighborhood feel that it did Uptown, but they've decorated the space beautifully, and the food is delicious as ever.

Oh, and one more thing: Cochon is as upscale as you make it. I've seen people there in shorts, and you could easily spend under $100 for two people there, while eating quite extravagantly. I wouldn't put it in the same category as the rest of the restaurants you listed, either for type of food or level of fancyness.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

Cafe du Monde locations in the local shopping malls (Esplanade, Lakeside) as well as the stand-alone location on Veterans Highway in Metairie all feature big plate glass windows into the production areas. You and every kid under 50 can watch the beignets being made, including the cool, square-cut roller that shapes each beignet.

For the life of me, I can't remember if you can see into the prep area in the "original" location. I almost never sit inside, which accounts for my missing memories. You do have to traverse part of the kitchen on the way to the restrooms, but it seems that I recall just coffee urns & other beverage apparatus in the easily accessible area.

I had a very delicious and casual dinner at Lüke, a charming brasserie that serves really good French fare. I think you'd like it even more than Parc. :smile:

This place isn't "upscale" per se, but it's at least as upscale as Cochon (where I would certainly go back for my death row meal). Chef John Besh is certainly a well recognized chef and in my (limited) experience both of my meals at his restaurants have been amongst my best in NOLA or anywhere.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Taking Airline Highway to the airport tomorrow morning - saw major construction on the interstate driving to the city so figured this route may be quicker.

Any suggestions for breakfast along the way?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter