• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unique ideas for M&Ms?

LaMiaCucina

I was given a huge bag of M&M candies and would like to do something with them for Christmas. I don't want to make the usual "no bake" or drop cookies that are associated with the candy unless those are the only choices. Are there any unique ideas out there?

Thanks!!

If you have patience and a bit of artistic flare, you could plan out a mosaic pattern using the various colors. Bake a sheet pan of brownies or other bar cookies until barely done, then press the candies on top in the mosaic design.

I would say the second most popular fudge I sell in my store in the summer is the chocolate M&M.

Make a batch of chocolate fudge, blend in some M&M's and decorate the top. The kids (young & old!) always request a piece with the most M&M's on it.

It is probably best to let the fudge cool a bit before adding the M&M's. I purchase the fudge from a local lady so I am not 100% sure when you would add them.

One fun thing is a popcorn cake. There are quite a few recipes for it online, if you google. I had a friend that always brought one to events that had a lot of children present, and it was a big hit. She made it in a bundt pan. You can adapt the recipes to your preferences, but hers had popcorn, M&M's, caramel and either peanuts or cashews.

Pretty darn tasty, unusual if you've never seen one, easy to make, and loaded with M&M's.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I recently saw the big fat regular shaped pretzels (not rods) dipped in chocolate and then covered with M&Ms.

Maybe this is a dumb idea but you could use them on cut out cookies (gingerbread or sugar) as decorations... outline a yellow frosted star with yellow M&Ms, a tree with green, etc.

As a topping on cupcakes. Around the base area or up the sides (instead of cake crumbs for example) of a frosted cake. I am pretty sure I've seen M&Ms on brownies.

I'm not sure exactly how you would do this, but i've got this idea in my head that you could put an M&M or two inside a scoop of ice cream, then do the deep fry/batter thing. It would work awesomely if the M&M would somehow melt but not the ice cream. I'm sure theres a way of doing it in a microwave that I saw on one of Heston Blumenthal's shows, except that was jam in the middle.

Take a cone shaped piece of styrofoam (sp?), cover it in a white icing, and while icing is still soft, plant lines of m&m's sorted by color from tip to bottom like strings of colored lights. Of course you could use cake instead of foam, to make the whole thing edible, and use green icing to mimic a tree. :rolleyes:

ET fix spelling.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Here's how I used some of the bag:

I made a batch of the cream cheese dough for thumb print cookies. I rolled them very, very tiny. Half of the dough was used for raspberry thumb prints, and the other half was baked (slightly indented) plain. When they came out, I had just enough room to place one M&M in each. They really look cute.

There are still a ton of the candies left, so I'll have to try some ideas here.

Holidays!!

Maybe I am just a purist - but I think the best thing to do with M&M's is to put them out in a candy dish and let everyone munch on them throughout the holidays. If you don't want to leave them out in your home or office, maybe they can be a contribution to a holiday gathering. Also - if you are participating in a holiday gathering that has a buffet - I like to scatter them all over the dessert table as decor!

Here's another vote for cupcakes. My neighbourhood coffee shop has this cupcake they call the Happy Cupcake. It's a chocolate cupcake with white icing, Smarties, and rainbow sprinkles. I'm sure it'll taste just as delicious with M&M's!

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping up this topic because I just ordered some "custom" M&Ms from My M&Ms.com.

They aren't cheap but for a really special occasion - or whatever turns you on - they are fun.

I ordered them with one of my basenji drawings (from 1977) on one side.

Yodeler-sm-sm-sm.jpg

And "BASENJIS YODEL" on the reverse.

I chose the colors: orange and white rather than all one color.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A few may find themselves stuck on the top of some large "presentation" cookies that will be given to a friend who is a long-time Basenji breeder.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I received my order of "custom" M&Ms today. I think they turned out rather nice.

M&Ms detail 2.jpg

Did you decide what you are going to do with them (besides just eat them compulsively :smile:) ?

Not going to eat them myself. I am allergic to chocolate - drat! I have several ideas, none firmed up yet.

I've ordered custom M&M's for parties and I generally put them atop a little dollop of stabilzed whipped cream on a mocha pots de creme verrine. They are so front and center atop a verrine that people have to notice the design on them. If I put them out in a bowl I have to buy way more of them and only the people interested in a random handful of candy at a party notice them.