• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Wholesale Chocolate Supplies

John DePaula

I recently purchased a giant pail of hazelnut praline paste. This is a rather expensive buy for me, even at wholesale prices.

When I got back to my kitchen after picking up the order, I noticed that the expiration date on the pail was only a few weeks away. Quite frankly, I’m a small shop and will not go through a pail very quickly. Needless to say, I was not happy. Shouldn’t I expect a more "reasonable" life span for my purchase?

So what are my options?

I could:

• Complain and request to return the unopened product – probably resulting in bad feelings all around.
  • Use it up as fast as possible
  • Freeze it in portions for use over the coming months.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

John, I would complain diplomatically and ask they exchange it for a new product. Purveyors usually want to keep their customers happy to ensure repeat orders. I don´t think you lose anything trying if you do it nicely. Or ask for a discount.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

John,  I would complain diplomatically and ask they exchange it for a new product. Purveyors usually want to keep their customers happy to ensure repeat orders. I don´t think you lose anything trying if you do it nicely. Or ask for a discount.

I agree - there's certainly no reason not to at least broach the situation with them.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I picked up a box of chocolate once and discovered it had expired. I suggested a discount - they didn't think that was a good idea - so I returned it and found another supplier that did a decent amount of business in that kind of chocolate.

I have bought discounted stuff that is going to expire soon, then froze or otherwise stored it in a way to prolong the life span.

The thing about praline is that you don't use a lot at a time, so portioning it into reasonable aliquots and freezing would probably work well (after asking for a discount).

I think too, that if they are reasonable, they'd understand that you won't use it quickly enough to have finished it by the expiry.

They should either exchange it or give you a discount. I'm sure they can sell it to a business who is likely to use it before the expiration date.

I agree - I would ask for an exchange. I once got chocolate that was actually expired. They tried to tell me it was just fine (which I'm sure it was) but, like you, I'm small and knew I needed it to last. I now request a long expiry date when buying large quantities. I usually get them to look it up and tell me before I commit to purchasing it! I haven't had any bad feelings coming back to me at all with that request. I think they understand. As for your praline paste if you need to keep it... I put mine in smaller jars and refrigerate. That way the oil doesn't rise up - and if it does, it's so much easier to stir those smaller jars! What will go bad in the hazelnut praline is the fat - it will go rancid. So as long as it still tastes fresh - you shouldn't have any problems. But I would still try for an exchange!

Thanks, All. Good advice!

P.S. I've been down this road before with the supplier and had hoped we'd moved past this...

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks, All.  Good advice!

P.S.  I've been down this road before with the supplier and had hoped we'd moved past this...

Two llittle words for you, and I mean no disrespect:

CAVEAT EMPORIUM

Always look at the expiry dates before accepting product.

take or instance last week, had a delivery of goods and noticed that the expiry date on a box of couveture was two months away. Delivery guy tried to tell me to pizz off, but I held my ground and told him to put it back on the truck, and stow the attitude.

Thing was, I got the ol' song and dance from the rep two weeks ago about how the CDN $ was so low and lousy exchange rates and all that, so the price of chocoate was going up. Well, O.K. fair enough, but if the expiry date is two months away and shelf life on dark couveture is 18-24 mths, then that means that teh couveture was purchased over a year ago, so 1) I'm getting old stock, and 2) I'm getting old stock that was purchased when the CDN $ was much higher.

My supplier always tells his customers about discount products- which are those close to expiry date! I would not accept it. You will soon get known as the guy who likes fresh stuff... And they also don't want bad feelings. Done in a nice way is just fine- they should know you are small and think about it themselves.

Just a quick update: my supplier graciously accepted the return for a credit to my account. So I'm happy! :biggrin:

John DePaula
--------------------

Take your left hand and pat your right shoulder.

A word about suppliers.....

Small businesses are not neccesarily their cup of tea. They will sit up and beg pretty for the large accounts, but the small ones are "exercised" more often. I've had more expired stuff and returned stuff fobbed off on me than when I was working for large hotels...

Remember the supplier will add his mark-up, which can be as a low as 20% , usually around 35%, and when they're feeling good, as much as 120%. What ever the market can bear. They do provide a service, they purchase in bulk, warehouse, take orders, and distribute it, but you are paying for this service

You can always check with the manufacturer about price increases before accepting the sales rep's schpiel about "they just raised the prices again". Many chocolate companies have factory reps and you can get this information from them. I'm a big Lindt fan, and purchase usually in 100 kg lots, and ALWAYS call the factory rep for factory price increases before plcing an order. THere hasn't been an increase from Lindt since Feb of this year, and won't be one for '09. Armed with this information I can always snort at my supplier, catch him in his lies and negotaite a decent price. They never learn either, I've done this now three times......

The expiry date provides you with a lot of information--use it to your advantage

Take your left hand and pat your right shoulder.

A word about suppliers.....

Small businesses are not neccesarily their cup of tea.  They will sit up and beg pretty for the large accounts, but the small ones are "exercised" more often. I've had more expired stuff and returned stuff fobbed off on me than when I was working for large hotels...

Remember the supplier will add his mark-up, which can be as a low as 20% , usually around 35%, and when they're feeling good, as much as 120%. What ever the market can bear. They do provide a service, they purchase in bulk, warehouse,  take orders, and distribute it, but you are paying for this service

You can always check with the manufacturer about price increases before accepting the sales rep's schpiel about "they just raised the prices again".  Many chocolate companies have factory reps and you can get this information from them.  I'm a big Lindt fan, and purchase usually in 100 kg lots, and ALWAYS call the factory rep for factory price increases before plcing an order.  THere hasn't been an increase from Lindt since Feb of this year, and won't be one for '09.  Armed with this information I can always snort at my supplier, catch him in his lies and negotaite a decent price.  They never learn either, I've done this now three times......

The expiry date provides you with a  lot of information--use it to your advantage

Dear Edward J

That was a wonderful post. I can imagine that many, many readers will thank you for it. Should be required reading! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.