• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vincent's at The King George Inn

PaulaJK

We were pleasantly surprised with our recent visit to Vincent's. It was a Friday evening and the cozy bar had a wonderful combo playing which added to our pre and post dinner libations. The mood is casual and happy.

The Inn, as you may be aware, is historical. Greg Marasco joined the partnership a few months ago and now plans are afoot to shed some of the historical decor. The bar area will be enlarged. The glass paneled room will become a salumeria of sorts and you will be able to collect orders there. Increasingly, it seems, folks are asking to take home the Inn's southern style lasagne and other pasta dishes. Through these windows you also will be able to watch Vincent as he prepares his fresh pastas.

So we have covered Inn past and future. Now the present. We were a party of six and decided to dine family style. We shared several appetizers. The zucchini fritti and calamari fritti were lightly battered, non-greasy and sweet and tender, just what I hope for in such dishes. Stuffed mushroom caps often suffer from a surplus of breadcrumbs; here, they were filled with crumbled sausage...and rate as the best that I have experienced. We all enjoyed the penne a la vodka, followed by the salad. Our entree choices included several veal dishes, all of which had tender veal deliciously prepared. My husband enjoyed a special of the evening, pork chops giambotta [?sp]. For those among us who like the mixed shellfish dishes, Vincent's offers 3 choices..fra diavolo, in a cream sauce or in broth as cioppino.

We were too full for dessert but succumbed to the waiter's description of the tiramisu, a house special. We passed it around, enjoying its delicacy [i hate those leaden and gluey.] and taste.