• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

"light" anything (in Aust. they get down to 1.5 - 2% alcohol), and they have almost as little taste as Budweiser!

Guess it's the same with the low-carb beers.

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Billy Beer, after the President's brother is a lasting discusting memory

Hudepel (sp?) a close second, only time there was ever beer left over after a rugby game.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Gennese, Utica NY 1970 warm. If you think about it you can puke (least I can) so it remains hidden in the backroads of my mind until needed. Never failed. Excuse me I need to leave the room. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::shock::rolleyes::blush::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

When visiting Beijing, I picked up an assortment of chinese beers in a can from a local supermarket. After returning home, here in the US, I had a little beer tasting session with my friends...I would have to say that they were the worst beers I've ever had. Give me Olympia over them any day. Incidently, one of those beers was Pabst Blue Ribbon brewed in China. I sent that one to my father, since he used to be a PBR drinker when I was growing up. He said that the chinese PBR was horrible, consistant with the others I had tried.

The bottled beers I had over there were fine, though, so don't be shy to try some of those.

Just read this entire thread and it was a real trip down memory lane. I have had a whole lot of the brands everyone mentioned. Eastern PA in the 70's was full of cheap bad beer. However if i had to pick one it would be Utica Club. Horrible stuff. But though I never had it the Cool Colt thing seems to me to be something that would be hard to beat. It sounds terrible. Wonderful memories of some real bad beer thought, thanks to everyone

Bison Brewing's (of Berkeley, CA) Chocolate Stout, about 4 years ago at the SF International Beer Festival. Imagine taking a skunky ale and stirring a big heaping spoonful of Nestle Quick into it. I had to spit my free sample out into a nearby garbage can, and the lingering affects ruined the next several tastings.

"I would kill everyone in this forum for a drop of sweet beer." - Homer Simpson (adapted)

Eastern PA in the 70's was full of cheap bad beer.  However if i had to pick one it would be Utica Club.  Horrible stuff. 

I don't doubt that's true. But they did have a swingin' theme song: click here for the MP3 and here for the album cover art (scroll down to #23).

Waitresses slide down fireman's poles. Life sized paintings come to life. A friendly gorilla's in charge of the swings.  You know the ones that hang from the ceilings.  With girls on them.

Old Knickerbocker.

Cost $4.29 a case in the fall of '88.

Paid for with one dollar bill and the rest in change.

I think that I can still feel the aftertaste.

Haven't seen Mickey's (esp. when warm) mentioned yet

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Barkley Sound Honey Almond Light YUCK!

Bells Susies Sweet Stout...Double Yuck!

When I was in college I found a bottle of Titanic. I dont remember the style of beer it was, but i ended up getting one swallow out of it before i was ready to dump it down the sink.

There were 3 others in the apartment and i offered each one of them a taste and nobody liked it!

I'm going to second the Cave Creek Chile Beer as well. I got one at a time in my life when I actually thought that Chile Beers were a good idea- that'll learn me. I saw a sixer at a store the other day (do they still put the serrano in the bottle?) so I suppose that some people are heartier than I am, or maybe there's a lot of marinatin' happening in my neighborhood.

A year or two ago I git a six of Saranac's Caramel Porter, probably whan it first came out. Yuck. Double triple quadruple yuck! If there is a word for 'beyond cloying' than this was it. I managed to pawn a few off on some friends ("This is so awful- you just gotta try it...") Same reaction. Decent idea, I guess, but very poorly executed.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 3 weeks later...
When I lived in Mexico City all my Mexican coworkers called Corona pepe de raton, rat's piss! :biggrin:

You know, I think that's insulting to rats.

Worst beer that I can remember drinking was a local Indian brand whose name happily escapes me that I was served in the 'Permit Room' - aka bar - of a lousy hotel in Tirrupur, Tamil Nadu, after I had consumed all of the (very good) Kingfisher in the house. The waiter assured me it was just as good as Kingfisher. He lied.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I'll throw in a plug for an East Coast product...Blue Star beer from Newfoundland. The other main indigenous brew, Black Horse, was in my day a decent if uninteresting brew. Blue Star, on the other hand, was reprehensible (and gave me the trots, as well).

Many brands varied from one province to the other, so that "Pilsener" in Saskatchewan was acceptable, while the same in Alberta was notoriously something that only a pensioner with a limited budget and atrophied taste buds could look forward to.

One of the worst summers of my life involved being in Calgary during a beer strike (was that 1985, or 1986?). All we had to drink was Colt 45 and Old Milwaukee, both of which tasted like a long-dead muskrat.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One beer I've never liked is Rolling Rock...just foul.

This one gets my vote.

and speaking of Molsen Golden, anyone remember those AWFUL radio commercials in the early 80'?

Oh come on! "What's that behind your seat?" "That's just the rest of the truck." Those commercials were GREAT!

mickey's ice...stanky. worst malt liquor ever: steel reserves 211. the originalrat's piss. also bad: elephant beer. also: anybody try that alcoholic spring water? i think it was called dna or something; terrible stuff. oh and i'm not a fan of old style either.

But for a cheap beer that is really bad - MeisterBrau is probably the worst. 

there used to be a bar in west philadelphia called the track and turf tavern, and it was the only bar i've ever seen with meister brau on tap. slowest bartenders ever, old tvs in the corners tuned to philadelphia park horse racing, old men sitting around in the afternoons watching the races.... it's different now.