• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

Worst ever - from a drive through beer store in Niagara Falls NY, beside Petes Market (i think it has a new name now), but they sold "Mystery Beer" by the case. It was all the bottles from cases where the cases had fallen apart, or the labels had come off - so for the grand total of $4.99 you had no idea what you were getting. I should have known better. 16 of the 24 bottles in my case had no labels, indistinguishable bottles and even worse beer. Bad for drinking, but fun for the stories it provided.

Until next time......

W

"Mystery Beer" by the case.

Ahh, the beginning of a thousand comic operas :laugh:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

"Mystery Beer" by the case.

Ahh, the beginning of a thousand comic operas :laugh:

My local bar sells a "mystery beer" every night for $2.50. The bartender will reach into the fridge and pull out whatever he/she comes up with, in a paper bag to cover the label. Sometimes it's something as nice as Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and sometimes it's miller lite. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Huh, an amazing consistancy of votes here for what was actually my favorite novelty beer back in my immediate post-college days: Cave Creek Chili Beer. I don't know that I'd ever actually claim that it was good, but my memory of it was a mostly inoffensive lager with a fairly strong pepper aftertaste. I found it cute once or twice. Perhaps my palate is broken in that regard.

Hands-down the worst beer I've ever tasted: Samuel Adams Triple Bock. This thing came in a very pretty corked blue bottle, and was the Boston Beer Company's first attempt at a superpremium-whatever ale. A pungent aroma of burnt cork, and a taste like sour dishwater. To add insult to injury, it was something insane like $9 for a 12oz bottle...in 1995. Fool that I was, I assumed the first one I'd tried had been skunked, so I went out and bought another, which was horrible in exactly the same way. In the immortal words of Johnny Rotten: Dew ya iver git th' feelin yoove bin cheeeeted? This was the beer that forced me to acknowledge just how bad Sam Adams had become by 95, and forced an "agonizing reappraisal" of the fact that I ever liked them at all.

Worst ever - from a drive through beer store in Niagara Falls NY, beside Petes Market (i think it has a new name now), but they sold "Mystery Beer" by the case.  It was all the bottles from cases where the cases had fallen apart, or the labels had come off - so for the grand total of $4.99 you had no idea what you were getting.  I should have known better.  16 of the 24 bottles in my case had no labels, indistinguishable bottles and even worse beer. Bad for drinking, but fun for the stories it provided.

Until next time......

W

Holy shit! Is that legal?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Bell's

Bell's the *worst* beer?

You must've drank some good beers in your time, my friend :smile:

Bell's doesnt know how to brew a bad beer; their variety of stouts alone put them into the highest ether of beer makers in the world.

I cant even IMAGINE a beer from Bell's being mediocre, let alone on anyone's "worst" list. Jesus.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Bell's

Bell's the *worst* beer?

You must've drank some good beers in your time, my friend :smile:

Bell's doesnt know how to brew a bad beer; their variety of stouts alone put them into the highest ether of beer makers in the world.

I cant even IMAGINE a beer from Bell's being mediocre, let alone on anyone's "worst" list. Jesus.

I enjoy a Bell's now and again. :wink:

Ever try their malt liquor? Whoa!

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 1 month later...

As far as worst beers go...........my list is this (and beer pong rules!)

Stroh's cans (i never though beer could taste metallic)

St. Ides Malt Liquor

Busch Pounders (what i started on in 9th grade)

A beer bong full of coors with about 4 shots of everclear

Natural Ice (nast, natty ice)

As far as beer pong (or Beirut as others, not us, call it) goes, the way we play in Penns Valley, and now at Penn College.......

1. 6 cups on either side, arranged in a triangle (3 closest to you, and so on)

2. Teams of two, each teammate gets a shot. If you both get it in on your turn, it "brings 'em back" and you guys each get another shot.

3. Your arm can't go over the table on your shot.

4. After you sink all their cups, they get "redemption" which means that they can shoot to win, but they must sink all the remaining cups without missing.

5. If your ball goes in the opening between the cups, "5 hole" is invoked, which means you instantly win. This rule insures that everyone sets their cups up right.

6. Usually, you have a sign up sheet, so everything runs smoothly.

7. In our area, the official beer of pong is Busch or Miller (a keg helps, but a few 30 packs is fine). The other night, we ran out of cheap beer and had to use Moosehead.

8. We take pong pretty seriously in our area.

Hope this was informative

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Does anybody in oregon remember Beer Beer - the generic beer - that was the worst but it was cheap.

French beer absolutely sucks. We were touring around France in 98 (World Cup) and bought a case cause we were astounded to find a case of beer for like $1.60 (back in the days before the Euro) - well it wasn't worth a nickel. If you put it on ice so it got really really cold - the first sip was edible but every sip thereafter was torture. I can't remember the name of it (something Germanic like Heidelfreiburger) but it made Bud seem like champagne.

Blatz. It was $4.99/case when I was in college. We had get it cold to the point that it was almost frozen just to get it down.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Although I've had many beers that are simply not good, I'm happy to report that I've only had three that I would pronounce definitely foul. Interestingly, all were sampled outside the US.

Willie's Olde Groyne, a barley wine on offer at the Great British Beef Festival tasted as if somone's dirty sneakers had become entangled with the beer. I know some will be so unkind as to suggest that the name alone shold have warned me off. To that I must reply that many a fine ale I've tasted had similarly un enticing names.

Tekel beer, made by the Turkish government. It cost about $0.25 / liter and wasn't worth it. The taste of burnt caramel daintily suffused with the smell of rotten eggs were the best parts of this surprising libation. It could not be served cold enough to suppress the noxious taste!

Then there's the China-brewed Guinnes Stout sampled by the side of the Pearl river in Guanzhou {sp?]. It tasted like pure river water with blended tires for mouthfeel. Absolutely impossible to swallow.

Carling Black Label, otherwise known as "Liquid Headache."

Black Label enjoyed brief renown as the hipster beer of choice in Toronto and Montreal about 10 years ago. Never could figure out why.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

MODELO ESPECIAL= We had a six pack that made us so sick (drank only 1/2 can each), I sent the un-opened cans to Az. dept. of health services. They found no bad things in it, yet also qualified it as "old" or "stale". It was the worst commercial beer ever tasted and made us ill.

Also= I have drank Modelo in Mexico and it was only mediocre, not a purgative......

MODELO ESPECIAL=  We had a six pack that made us so sick (drank only 1/2 can each), I sent the un-opened cans to Az. dept. of health services.  They found no bad things in it, yet also qualified it as "old" or "stale".  It was the worst commercial beer ever tasted and made us ill.

Also= I have drank Modelo in Mexico and it was only mediocre, not a purgative......

this reminds me of a King of the Hill episode....

It's a long thread and my eyes were starting to go, so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but there's a Polish "stout" called Belfast which has to be one of the most disgusting liquids I have EVER had in my mouth. It was the colour of raw sewage mixed with diesel, smelt like you were downwind from a true Guinness fart and caught you in the back of the throat like you had half-managed to suppress a sudden urge to boke. God. And I'm from Belfast. It was certainly a true taste of home.

Graah. I need to clean my teeth now.

Without a doubt "Old German" was $4.99/case bottles twenty years ago when I was among the struggling studentry. (That isn't a word.) Tasted better on a 90' day after spending several hours being rolled around in the trunk of your car. We refered to them as "Red Hot's." :shock:

• 1 year later...