• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

this past weekend, some friends and i played beer pong with a czech smoked beer that i found to be pretty hideous. "smoked" and "drink" don't really go together in my book.

i just noticed this comment.

beer pong with an import?! :shock: in my book, if it ain't pabst blue ribbon, it ain't beer pong...

and why were we not invited? in beer pong, i throw it down, yo.

this past weekend, some friends and i played beer pong with a czech smoked beer that i found to be pretty hideous. "smoked" and "drink" don't really go together in my book.

i just noticed this comment.

beer pong with an import?! :shock: in my book, if it ain't pabst blue ribbon, it ain't beer pong...

OK, I have to ask, what the heck is "beer pong?" I thought I had extensive experience with drinking games but I've never even heard of this.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yuengling's Black and Tan is worth leaving alone.  I discovered that last night.  Thin and acrid.

you must have had a bad one. i love my yuengling.

did anyone every drink mickey's big mouths? EDIT oops, yes, of course, tommy remembers--BUT, did you drink them in 8th grade, my friends? [i already know the answer]

Edited by stellabella (log)

OK, I have to ask, what the heck is "beer pong?"  I thought I had extensive experience with drinking games but I've never even heard of this.

ping pong, with beer.

1 or 2 cups of beer set at the edge of each side. the object is to hit the opposing team's cup, get the ball in the opposing team's cup, or better yet, knock the cup off the table in such a way that the beer flies all over the opposing team. good fun. and good exercise.

1 or 2 cups of beer set at the edge of each side.  the object is to hit the opposing team's cup, get the ball in the opposing team's cup, or better yet, knock the cup off the table in such a way that the beer flies all over the opposing team.  good fun.  and good exercise.

Sounds like far too much work!

We always had severe penalties for wasting alcohol.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

beer pong with an import?!  :shock: in my book, if it ain't pabst blue ribbon, it ain't beer pong...

well, this beer had sat in their fridge undrunk for about three months... out of fear. someone brought it as a "gift" at some point. so it sort of gave the game an element of danger. but mostly we were playing with keg beer (michelob i think).

but that smoked beer was gross. maybe not fear factor gross, but up there. of course, your mileage may vary.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Wilkes-Barre makes Stegmaier, which has been cited as "the worst beer I've ever tasted"

my dad went to king's college in wilkes-barre and apparantly drank more than his share of stegmaier. i think that's probably where things started heading south for me...

Colt 45 Malt Liquor. No doubt about it.

Do they still use the slogan "Works every time"? It was so sleazy.

That was going to be my nominee. Our term for it, which I do not believe came from advertising but rather my friend Tristan, was "Party in a bottle".

$2.25 for 40oz at Wawa (that's 2 for $4.50 if you're counting).

Fortunately I smoked unfiltered camels at the time, so choking that stuff down was no problem.

-

Scott

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

• 3 months later...

My grandpa would keep Blatz in his fridge for when guests were by he was trying to get rid of... I remember it smelled like a wet dog we used to call it "Kennels". :blink:

I got all nostalgic reading through, in high school we would drink Schaeffers because it was actually cheaper than coke or pepsi, less than 25 cents for a 12oz can and this was 1986 in Colorado Springs... my best friend was into Little King's... I found some years later and marvelled at the crap I once consumed with so much gusto.

Some of the worst beers I've tasted:

Billy Beer

Old Milwaukee

Keystone

Schmidt's of Philadelphia

National Bohemian

Cave Creek Chili Beer

Budweiser

Michelob

Michelob Ultra

Coors Cutter

I swear, it doesnt get any worse than that.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm amazed no one has mentioned Watney's Red Barrel as the worst beer of all time. So weak that if you spat in your pint you could legally serve it as a soft drink. So bad it was eventually withdrawn from UK sale, despite heavy advertising but continued to be sold in the US. Visiting the US friends would proudly take one to a British-style pub that served this poison, and one would explain that at home one went miles to avoid it...

I'll probably get pestered for this, but I think Corona tastes like piss.  Honestly one of the worst beers I've tasted.

Well, that's always been the nasty rumor about Corona. Let the stuff get warm, and it will really freak you out.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'll probably get pestered for this, but I think Corona tastes like piss.  Honestly one of the worst beers I've tasted.

Well, I was going to say any American lager ties for worst beer ever (Bud, Miller, the various lights, Coors etc. all taste the same, which is to say that they have no taste whatsoever). At least the cheap beers (Schlitz, PBR, Best, Old Mil, Schafer etc.) give you the runs the next day, confirming that you actually did drink beer instead of water. A pox on all mass produced lagers.

But then I saw the Corona post, and had to agree. Downright nasty.

This thread really does bring back some memories. And I can honestly say that I've tasted many of the same horrendous brews as the rest of you (Olympia, the beast, Stroh's, natural light, etc) but I think the award for worst beer has to go to Narragansett Light. I remember thinking the aroma had the essence of motor oil.

And Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer does deserve a mention. I had a bottle of that sitting in my dorm room in college. I always kept it around as a conversation piece because it had a chili pepper in the bottle. I don't think it ever occurred to me to actually drink it...

Worst....any beer with the word ice in it's name. PBR is what I cut my teeth on, 6 bucks a case back when I was 15. Just had to give up a few to Pedro the mirgrant farm worker who always hooked us up. I don't advacate underage drinking mind you. :hmmm: I have a love hate relationship with Bud Dry....cheap....bad tasting....but no aftertaste at all, very peculiar.

Michelob Dark where have you gone?

Another on my list is Red Stripe.  Does anyone actually like that stuff, or is it just the association high from it being of Jamaican origin?

I was gonna post "red, white and blue" but i see some others beat me to it. The other thing i was going to say is that i love Red Stripe; however, it tends to get skunky really quick, and once it's turned, it tastes horrible. Therefore i only buy it in the swanky part of town where it flies off the shelf pretty regular, instead of at my local convenience store where it's available, but dusty.

Because i don't live in the swanky part of town. But i can drive there.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

And Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer does deserve a mention.  I had a bottle of that sitting in my dorm room in college.  I always kept it around as a conversation piece because it had a chili pepper in the bottle.  I don't think it ever occurred to me to actually drink it...

smart. it's gnarly.