• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

Milwaukee’s Best, aka "The Beast" gets my vote.

One beer I've never liked is Rolling Rock...just foul. Maybe it's a regional thing--all my friends from PA love it. :wacko:

I like Shiner Bock. But there are lots of skunky bottles floating around out there.

Challah back!

When I was a lad, Rolling Rock was the lowest of the low -- after Schmidts, Schlitz (which rocks America, by the way) and Miller ponies. Then the whole green bottle fad came and RR got themselves some good PR machine. People were begging for the stuff. Buying buckets o' rock.

I don't get.

But, Dude, I love your Doritos. I'll crunch all you can make.

I haven't see it since leaving Minnesota, but Stroh's (and Stroh's Light, of course) was pretty hideous, even compared to all the other stuff my poor ass was drinking. We used to buy it though, cuz it came in 30-packs. Such a nice, round number. There was also Red Bull (which is now something else completely). Like Bull, but much more alcohol. Yeesh.

When I was a lad, Rolling Rock was the lowest of the low -- after Schmidts, Schlitz (which rocks America, by the way) and Miller ponies.  Then the whole green bottle fad came and RR got themselves some good PR machine.  People were begging for the stuff.  Buying buckets o' rock.  

I don't get.

But, Dude, I love your Doritos.  I'll crunch all you can make.

C'mon....Rolling Rock is the necter of the Gods.... Try some Straub's if you can find it. It is even better, but can skunk out if it is an old batch. :biggrin:

No beer could ever be more offensive than Molson Canadian. We only have it cramed down our Canuck throats by the beer/hockey facists here in Canada. I am Canadian tag line makes you feel unpatriotic if you don't drink this corporate piss. Actually all the mass produced Canadian beers taste like they were all brewed in the same urinal. I have visions of one great corporate beer tank that all three brewers use and just different labels going on at the end of the great satanic production line. However 10 million drunken Canadians can't be wrong.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

No beer could ever be more offensive than Molson Canadian. We only have it cramed down our Canuck throats by the beer/hockey facists here in Canada. I am Canadian tag line makes you feel unpatriotic if you don't drink this corporate piss. Actually all the mass produced Canadian beers taste like they were all brewed in the same urinal. I have visions of one great corporate beer tank that all three brewers use and just different labels going on at the end of the great satanic production line. However 10 million drunken Canadians can't be wrong.

Dude, if Molson is honestly the WORST beer you've ever tasted, you've led a sheltered (and indeed blessed) life. I've been in situations where I was on the verge of falling to my knees and thanking God because Molson was an option. :biggrin: Maybe all the mass-produced Canadian stuff is made in the same urinal, but its a whole lot cleaner urinal than the mass-produced American stuff is made in.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

my best friend's brother's beer was pretty damned awful. a do-it-yourselfer, this lovable and mathematically-gifted hippie (think don knotts aged 40 years younger, his brain reduced to having only five THC-enabled neurons left to do all his mental work) decided that his homebrew recipe was probably wrong and put six times the amount of recommended yeast. after opening one of the bottles, his "beer" fizzed estactic and vesuvius-like for minutes until there was only a teaspoon of liquid left at the bottom.

and what a liquid it was. it tasted of coffee crossed with orbitz. mmm.

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote cast for Rolling Rock. Barely tastes like anything resembling beer. How it got to be so popular is a testament to the power of advertising.

At the risk of being cursed at by Texans, I wasn't too fond of Lone Star the one time I tried it. I would lump it with Miller, Bud, etc. as a completely boring beer with no character whatsoever. Shiner Bock's pretty decent though.

There've been some microbrews I haven't liked, but thank goodness I've blocked them from my memory.

From my college days: Champagne Velvet and 9-0-5 (a house brand in Missouri); both were 8 for a dollar/$3 per case.

No votes for Stag?

Best beer name: Griesedieck Brothers (St. Louis). I just Googled this for spelling and found out it is being revived (looky here). (Pronounced greasydick in my childhood, in polite company)

Edited by mikey (log)

Was at an Italian restaurant last night and did a side by side tasting of Moretti and Peroni. The Italians should stick to wine. They do that so much better.

Regular Moretti and Peroni, yes - they're both pretty dull, but Moretti La Rosa is nice - nothing amazing, but nice - it's a darker, slightly sweeter beer.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

• 1 month later...

Follow this devolution (from a former Northeastern Pennsylvanier). The Lion Brewery of Wilkes-Barre makes Stegmaier, which has been cited as "the worst beer I've ever tasted" by people who have some experience in this area. Said Steg is at the top of The Lion's list. Below that is Gibbons, which really stinks. Below that - and I'm not kidding - was The Lion's "Generic Beer." It was marketed in the mid- to late-70's (at least in Upstate New York). Plain white can, simple black lettering. For all I know, The Lion has but one big vat, and they make the same stuff day in and day out, just changing the labels, but Generic Beer had to be the most disturbing, depressing stuff ever sold (for about $1.70 per sixer, I think). It was sort of, "Hey, you're poor and can't really afford beer, but even so, you don't have to do without." The stuff was so bad, one could never even attempt to offer it is a post-ironic, "I'm sooo beyond the marketing hype of the big breweries ..." It was hideous.

Olympia... "It's in the Water".

The memory makes me want to hurl... right up there with MD 20/20.

Oh, my god. I had repressed the memory of that beer until reading all the entries on this thread.

We used to buy a case of Olympia apiece to take to the Preakness Stakes every year.

"It's the water" indeed. Gack.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

National Bohemian (Baltimore anyone?),

Yes, Natty Bo was about all you could get at Memorial stadium. Blech! We used to drink a beer an inning and they got easier to choke down after the first two.

Didn't the owner of the team own the brewery too?

It wouldn't surprise me. The food and beer at Camden Yards is so much better than at Memorial Stadium. Too bad it's the best reason to go see the Orioles. :sad:

I seem to recall that National Premium (affectionately known as Preemies) was also for sale at Memorial. It was equally nasty.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Champale.

Not a beer. But my friend Steve will never live down his Pink Chample days in high school.

I just had two Pabst Blue Ribbons with my bad burger. It's not a good beer, but it's not offensive. There's no bad flavor to it.

I used to drink some kind of hideous beer (might have been malt liquor) back in New Haven during the late 70s/early 80s. It may have been local but I just can't remember the name of it...hope someone else here can. It came in 16 oz green bottles...I called it the Green Dragon. The great thing about it was that under the bottle cap was a puzzle. A symbol puzzle...I don't recall the word for those...but some of the puzzles were difficult...even Yale grad students couldn't figure them out. I prided myself on figuring out the puzzles and stumping the snotty grad students with them.

Lobster.

this past weekend, some friends and i played beer pong with a czech smoked beer that i found to be pretty hideous. "smoked" and "drink" don't really go together in my book.

i just noticed this comment.

beer pong with an import?! :shock: in my book, if it ain't pabst blue ribbon, it ain't beer pong...