• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

Damn, most of the beer mentioned here was a staple for me in college and grad school. The taste was totally immaterial.

As far as Pabst's is concerned, when I lived in Milwaukee, I frequently sought out opportunities to do a tour, as they didn't limit the number of samples of which you could partake. The amazing thing about that brewery was the number of god-awful beers they made. Here's what I can recall:

PBR

Olympia

Schlitz

Colt 45

Hamms

Olde English 800

Falstaff

Ballantine

Pearl

Schaefer

There were many, many more. Ah, memories.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I guess I was the exception - I was mostly drinking Heineken as my low-end beer in college, and I would make forays into Belgian, German and Scottish beers fairly regularly (having access to a store with several hundred varieties within walking distance didn't hurt, though..)

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Not to quibble on Olympia but the slogan is "It's the water" although sex in a canoe is an apt analogy for the stuff as mynamejoe indicates. I believe it is brewed by Pabst. Love that old school Red White and Blue photo above by the way.

Similar ilk not yet mentioned are Iron City Light (IC Light), Hamm's, Wiedemann's (special affection for the stuff admitted), Old Style (sorry Cheeseheads/Chicagoans), the Milwaukee's Best Light (inexplicable), Natural Light, Busch, Keystone, National Bohemian (Baltimore anyone?), Meister Brau, Tuborg. So many-so bad.

Incidentally, had a can of PBR this weekend after being dragged into the new and even crappier Village Idiot (what happened to the Boys?) by some young NYU types at about 3 a.m. PBR was not so awful, really - at least it was cold and wet. 3 for 5.50 in an (admittedly awful) NYC bar? Can't beat that.

This post has dredged up such good memories that I have converted from a lurker to a member!

One word says it all............Schmidts.

In 1980, I was 16 and a warm six pack of Schmidts cost 99 cents. The beer was crap, but what good times we had. Every weekend my friends and I would throw our pennies together and buy as much warm Schmidts as possible.

From what I remember, it tasted lke a blend of dishwater, Ivory soap, and tree bark, but it was all we had, and tasted like nectar at the time.

Ahh, memories...

Worst beer ever: Cave Creek Chili Beer - However, with a shot of vodka in it it's not half bad.

A bottle of beer followed by a shot of vodka is not for the alcohol intolerant if you're planning on having more than one. I had my second semi-spectacular motorcycle crash after six rounds.

I'm absolutely certain I can top them all.... does anyone remember Gablinger's? It was the original "light" beer. My father drank it for several months one winter back in the late 60's or very early 70's when he was trying to lose weight. I pilfered a can or two and can attest that despite not having yet developed a taste for beer, it was the most putrid swill I have ever tasted. Actually, the only beverage I've ever tasted that is more disgusting is the novelty drink currently bing marketed as "A can of Whoop-Ass". It's an "energy" drink that tastes like a cross between Sweet Tarts and the super concentrated lemon mix that bars use to make generic sweet and sour mix.

This thread is bringing back hazy, pukestained memories. 

Including ::gag:: Gennessee Cream Ale...

Genny Creams, also known as "Sweet Creams" or "Screamers" (for what they did to your intestinal tract.

I was always partial to Little Kings Cream Ale in the 7 ounce bottles. My best friend and I had to pound a case of those before we hit the town back in my college/grad school days.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wow, there's nothing like bringing up painful beer memories. When I first visited Austin, TX, I was living in Seattle and was a tried and true beer snob. I'm in my hotel and along with my dinner, I ask for a "local" beer. Well, I recieved Shiner Bock and my critique was "I'd rather lick the sweat off a mule's scrotum that just climbed out of the Grand Canyon and died."

Awlful, awlful stuff, but for some reason people like to drink it down there. Probably because it's healthier than the local water.

Not to quibble on Olympia but the slogan is "It's the water" although sex in a canoe is an apt analogy for the stuff as mynamejoe indicates.  I believe it is brewed by Pabst...

Fortunately we can now talk about Olympia in the past tense, unless it's still being foisted off on those not actually living in its home state? My nominee is another long-time local fav: Rainier Beer. Great commercials, heinous brew. Another on my list is Red Stripe. Does anyone actually like that stuff, or is it just the association high from it being of Jamaican origin?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Black Label is pretty awful.  I remember a beer back in college called Red White and Blue, that was even worse. 

I also remember Narraganset, but never drank it. 

Another one from college was called Little Kings--it came in these little green bottles that cost something like 50 cents a piece.  That was in North Carolina, anyone remember those?

It isnt so bad if you pronounce it like Black La' Bel

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Beer...one of my favorite subjects. Longtime drinker. My Dad used to work in a brewery. Anyone remember Dobler or Hedricks from Albany, New York back in the 50s-60s. Cut my teeth on it sneaking sips when I was a toddler.

The very worst beer I have ever had in my 55 years of life now resides in my refrigerator desperately hoping some smuck will be willing to try them- there are 2 of them. The THREE STOOGES BEER from Panther Brewing Co. (never heard of it, either) and WHITE MOOSE (white chocolate beer). UUUUGGGHHH!! Major barf alert.

Right up there, though is Little Kings, Weideman, and any other beer they used to brew in Cincinnati. It had to to be the Mill Creek Water.

Similar ilk not yet mentioned are Iron City Light (IC Light), Hamm's, Wiedemann's (special affection for the stuff admitted),  Old Style (sorry Cheeseheads/Chicagoans), the Milwaukee's Best Light (inexplicable), Natural Light, Busch, Keystone, National Bohemian (Baltimore anyone?), Meister Brau, Tuborg.  So many-so bad.

Iron Shitty? I remember it well. By the mid 90s it was making it to Central Ohio by the way. The one time I actually bought any of my own, the box broke as I took it off the shelf... the bottles had perspirated through the case.

I remember Old Style. Yeccck. Oooo, I just thought of one, Schaefer Beer! 12 packs for under 5 bux. It was beautiful. Or wait, no it wasn't.

Out of the hundreds of beers that I tried, 2 stand out as exceptionally lousy. Busch Light (just about any light beer qualifies as lousy; particularly Coors Light because all my relatives drink it) and a beer put out by Schmidt's of Philadelphia called Schmidt's Bavarian. As college students at Glassboro State College in the late 70's we drank a lot of this because it was even cheaper than the regular Schmidt's. We used to call it Barbarian. Eventually, we got so sick of it, that it turned us off to shitty beer forever. We began drinking Grolsch and later graduated to microbrews when they started popping up in the 80's.

John the hot dog guy