• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

Schlitz Ice. Tasted like Burnt Hops and water. Yum!

Ahh Schlitz regular... fond memories of the beer that tastes better warm. I remember drinking a 12 pack in college and watching Ernest movies. What a life I lead.

A couple here:

An aussie brew called Carlton Black; a stout that tasted like a mix of Bad stout, bad coffee and sugar.

The obvoius Budweiser. No taste, but a disgusting aftertaste. I used to drink it when I was little.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Worst for me has got to be Natural Light (aka Natty Light, Nasty Night--Nastier Morning). Think it's a Miller product. It was cheap. Fits right into a collegiate beer drinking budget. Think we used to get 6-packs for $1.87, guess that shoulda been a tip off.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Worst beer in and of itself - Natty Ice

Worst beer ever - particularly skunky Bud.

Worst gourmet beer - Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier - tasted like liquid beef jerky.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I have a problem with the Bud aftertaste too, but I guess millions don't.

Russian Imperial Stout lingers in the memory, more than twenty years after I tasted it. Black and bitter. Rather like iced liquid tar would taste, I imagine.

Here's an article about it by the renowned Trotskyist real ale freak Roger Protz.

Also, does anyone actually like Pumpkin Ale, or is it decorative, like all the cutsey little squash?

Black Label is pretty awful. I remember a beer back in college called Red White and Blue, that was even worse.

I also remember Narraganset, but never drank it.

Another one from college was called Little Kings--it came in these little green bottles that cost something like 50 cents a piece. That was in North Carolina, anyone remember those?

Mickey's Malt Liquor hand grenades. Mmmmmm. Natty Light. Oooo MeisterBrau. Aldi sold that for a while.

oh man, i *love* mickey's!!! with that wide mouth and all! damn.

I've enjoyed many Mickey's wide mouth during the hot summer days of my ute!

:laugh:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Milwaukee's Best, AKA The Beast

Yes, "Milwaukee's Beast" seems to be a fairly universal name for that product! :wink: I remember endless mocking the product at college, and yet they ALWAYS bought it... because it was the cheapest.

Then again, I'm pretty demanding. For me, the top 30 or so "bad beers" ALL taste equivalently horrible. I can't sit down and enjoy a Corona that much more than I can a "Beast".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I remember a beer back in college called Red White and Blue, that was even worse.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Pabst Blue Ribbon?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I remember a beer back in college called Red White and Blue, that was even worse.

here...

GOE774308030202AN.jpg

Edit to say... but guess what... it was from Pabst Breweries. But its an antique can... either the label is quite old, or its simply been a less well-known ongoing concern. But I can't find references to it as a modern product.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

here...

GOE774308030202AN.jpg

Edit to say... but guess what... it was from Pabst Breweries. But its an antique can... either the label is quite old, or its simply been a less well-known ongoing concern. But I can't find references to it as a modern product.

Yes, that's it. I think that even is the way the label looked way back in the '80's when I drank it...(does that qualify for antique???)...

Also, does anyone actually like Pumpkin Ale, or is it decorative, like all the cutsey little squash?

Wilfrid -- YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I was happy to see that I'm not the only person who was stupid enough to taste it, though. :blink:

By definition, anything one drank in college has to be among the worst. Therefore: Blatz. (that's the name of the beer, not just the noise you made after drinking it.)