• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tunisian Pastry sheets

Here's a quote from an article in today's Daily Telegraph.

"The pastry is Tunisian in origin, but is now made in France and is called feuille de brick. In Tunisia it was used for making deep-fried pastries filled with spinach, cheese and eggs, spiced meats or fish. Feuilles de brick look and feel like fine, lacy cloth with a satiny sheen and texture. When fried they are crisper than springroll pastry and when baked they have a dry, melt-in the-mouth crunchiness, which is better than filo."

I've never heard of this pastry before, but the article does say that its now made in France.

So, does anybody know where to buy it? (outside of Le Grand Pomme as well please if possible.)

I think you can buy them in the in most grocery stores. I never have but have seen them at Monoprix (in la Grande Pomme, but I am sure you can get them outside the Périph :smile: )

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

In the Perigord it's in most supermarkets. I keep looking for filo, but can only get it from one vendor in the Sarlat market who handles Greek and Middle Eastern products. Someone suggested brick to me instead of filo, but it isn't the same thing.

It isn't the same thing at all. Filo is raw while brik is cooked.

Brik tends to be better for wrapping things and frying crisp, while filo is better for layered pastries.

In Turkish grocery stores, you may find yufka, which is similar to brik and is superior quality. I think it is sometimes a little fermented, which gives it a nice taste.