• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh chervil

Dryden

Of all of the ingredients that every French person in the world can get anywhere, and the New York cook can't seem to find at all, chervil seems to be the most inconvenient... Sure, Garden of Eden and Whole Foods have it once in a blue moon, but does anyone know of a market or something anywhere that has it most of the time?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 4 weeks later...
Of all of the ingredients that every French person in the world can get anywhere, and the New York cook can't seem to find at all, chervil seems to be the most inconvenient...  Sure, Garden of Eden and Whole Foods have it once in a blue moon, but does anyone know of a market or something anywhere that has it most of the time?

I wouldn't say "most" of the time, but Manhattan Fruit Exchange might be worth a call. If they don't have it, I am not sure who would. They've been my best bet when trying to find a fruit, vegetable, or fresh herb.

I've had the same experience as you. Usually have to use a more limited amount of tarragon as a substitute. In fact, that could be a whole separate thread, french ingredients that are hard to find in NY.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point